Chapter 47

Yasuhira wasn't certain what irritated him more, the agony in his body or the incessant rattle of the rain on the roof

Yasuhira wasn't certain what irritated him more, the agony in his body or the incessant rattle of the rain on the roof. He sat in a corner of the newly restored cabin of Amaterasu. It was empty and the windows were sealed. He wore a scratchy old kimono made for a peasant. He was bruised like an apple, barefoot and his hair hung dishevelled about his shoulders. But his appearance hardly mattered. In truth his aches were inconsequential too. Yasu was focused on his daughter and how to help her in her coming trial. He had no idea what sort of plans Amaterasu had for her, but he knew they would be mad. As mad as the Sun so obviously was. He had not the strength to lift the bowl of rice that was at his feet, let alone make some sort of effort to extricate himself from his prison. And he so wanted to eat. His stomach was swimming with hunger, just as his mind writhed with thirst. Everything seemed to be out of reach for the moment, both freedom and sustenance. All he could do was listen to the rain drops fall on the roof and twist a thought away from his pain and anguish. But that was becoming harder to do the longer he remained in that corner. Something had to happen soon or he would go mad himself and die in that terrible place.

A hand appeared and picked up the bowl that held some water and lifted it up to Yasuhira. Once he opened his eyes the sight of the bowl and the figure that held it made him start. Of course that flinch caused a shiver of pain to travel up and down his body. Yasuhira wasn't certain how to react to this new development, but he was awfully thirsty. So he put his lips to the bowl and the figure raised it so the water would slip into his mouth. When he had finished Yasuhira took a deep breath, as that simple act had taken great effort and then he looked at his benefactor.

"My thanks, Tsukuyomi-Heika."

"My pleasure," Said the Moon and picked up the rice bowl, "I wish I could do more to help you, Yasuhira."

That statement was quite telling, but Yasuhira had no response; he did eat the rice as best he could. He was surprised to find it was still warm and fresh. Perhaps the best rice he's had in some time. Well, the gods be praised. Yasu looked at the Moon as he ate, and his countenance was as revealing as his words. The god was troubled and agitated. It was obvious he had no idea what was happening and that Amaterasu's behaviour was as perplexing to him as to Yasuhira. But he hadn't been near killed in trying to come to some conclusion. And that made Yasuhira quite bold, despite everything.

"Have you met with your wife, Heika?"

He took a breath, "No."

Yasuhira did the same, "Do you intend to at some point?"

He lowered his head, "I don't know..."

Yasuhira pulled away from the bowl. He had his fill of it, and of the hospitality of heaven. Though he did suddenly find the strength to move his body at long last. And he began to pull at his shoulders and arms in the hopes of stretching the muscles to make them function properly again. It was hard going, but at least he could pour himself another bowl of water, which he drank a bit too rapidly.