Chapter 19

The rains started just as Tomoe and Yasuhira returned to the castle

The rains started just as Tomoe and Yasuhira returned to the castle. It began as drizzle but then evolved into a torrent. The storm drove everyone indoors. Only the poor beleaguered guards required to stand by the gate remained to get soaked right through in less than a minute. Such was their lot. The city streets were equally bereft of citizenry but samurai continued their patrols. They questioned every Ronin they came across, but left women and peasants alone. No decent citizen would be out in that weather, only those with nefarious intent would brave such a deluge. But the streets weren't entirely devoid of people. They kept to the alleys and used the darkness and the rain to their advantage. Chizu went for supplies when she got caught in the storm. She also noticed the influx of samurai, more that the usual City Watch. That raised an alarm inside of her. She wondered just what the Geishu lord was thinking. Did he know about the assassins or is he simply being prudent due to the presence of the dreaded Hikiji? She had no evidence that pointed one or another, only her instincts. Were they enough to convince her of the truth? Her mind had been a muddle all day. The sudden growth in her relationship with Usagi had changed her irrevocably. But she was still a ninja, as much as he was still a samurai; both held onto their sense of duty and obligation. Alas, to keep her obligation meant she may have to cross swords with Usagi.

She made the secret knock they agreed upon and when she entered, Chizu found that Usagi hadn't moved since he returned to her company. That made her nervous. Everything about his demeanour told her that he was not to be trusted, but she could not bring herself to embrace such dark thoughts. Not yet anyway. Chizu laid out the food and drink and set down to eat. The rice had become cold and the tea tepid, tasting more like dull water, but they devoured it all. Both were accustomed to the privations that life imposes and were beyond such fanciful ideas of plenty and want. They ate in silence, which added to the tension in the air. They had no fire and only one low candle so as not to draw attention to themselves. Both behaved as if they were on campaign, ready to step off to meet the enemy at a moment's notice and left nothing to chance. All of which made for terrible conversation and dreadfully long silences.

"I'm certain we'll have a better chance at finding them tomorrow, Usagi."

He made no reply.

"They are aware enough that to be out in this weather would draw attention to themselves. They would not be so foolish."

He sipped some tea.

"I think I'm growing gills being out in the rain for so long."

Usagi looked up and noticed Chizu was smiling. The ninja made a joke. It was terrible, but the Ronin felt compelled to smile back and in a very short time then they both began to laugh. They moved closer to one another and began to speak more intimately. They still didn't light a fire or more candles. But that only served to draw closer together for warmth and company. Soon their laughing could be heard even over the din of the storm outside.

Inside the Heron Castle it was warm enough. Both clans were ready to meet one last time. There appeared an odd feeling in the air, an air of finality, as if they were all doomed to end their days that night. No one was certain if there was to be any entertainment. Ikumi had not been instructed that her presence was required, but the players had been. So perhaps there would be music. Akako was busy for most of the afternoon readying the Hikiji for their trip home. She was to remain behind with a small retinue to begin the Hikiji delegation. The balance of her retainers would arrive within the month. She wasn't sure why Yasuhira had chosen her to lead the mission. But he had faith in her abilities. Still, her stomach was in knots for the rest of the day. Thankfully, Kenichi was equally out of sorts concerning his change of venue. So she wasn't suffering alone. There was still no word about Riku. Akako was aware that she had refused Yasu's offer as Senior Maid. Why had she been so foolish? Such a position would have assured her safety. Akako was determined to press this issue when the dinner had finished and wouldn't take no for an answer. The girl's main argument was to be that she needed as many familiar faces as could muster to get through her own trials. And Riku fit the bill quite nicely. If that didn't persuade her, then nothing would.