Chapter 31

Usagi hated autumn rains more than any other kind; it was always freezing cold and it came down like arrows

Usagi hated autumn rains more than any other kind; it was always freezing cold and it came down like arrows. So being in the saddle and riding at a full gallop vexed Usagi even more, now the rain was like a wall. But it couldn't be helped. They had to keep up the blistering pace, lest the enemy get the better of them. After only two days and two nights on the road they had been ambushed three times. They were repelled with ease and with only a few casualties on their side. It was the muskets of course that tipped the balance in their favour. Usagi liked the new weapons, especially the pistols, which he carried two. He found that the European weapons, unlike Japanese matchlocks, rarely fouled in the rain. So once they were brought to bear upon the enemy, they were quickly dispersed or destroyed. Most of the soldiers under the Shadow Lord were unused to powder weapons and so the retort was enough to set them to heel. Those who managed to get close received a ball in the face.

Usagi felt a twinge of apprehension when using the pistols, as they weren't what he would call honourable. There was no real opportunity for single combat with such weapons in open war. You fired, you reloaded, and you fired again. It was very mechanical. Very indiscriminate. But fighting in such a way was best for their mission. They couldn't waste time in idle swordplay. Time was as much the enemy as the Shadow Lord. So the men rode on. And the rain kept pouring. Kenichi changed routes twice, which cause them some delay but it would confuse the enemy and force them to change their tactics. Neither Usagi, nor Lord Naishi balked at his orders. Usagi found the lord's fighting skills to be quite suitable. He did not shy away from battle or expected his men to shield him from attack. He fought along side Motokazu rather that behind him. So not all Hikiji were the same. Perhaps their blood was only putrid within the Shadow Lord. And once he was dead then the name Hikiji may well become honourable. Usagi, however, was not one to wager money on such a thing happening just yet.

They were making good time but their horses were paying the price. The poor animals were near spent and several had already collapsed due to exhaustion. If they didn't reach the Grand Fief soon, or slow up their pace, they would have to continue on foot, which was not a very promising option. That concern was brought forward on the quick rest break Kenichi ordered. He, Usagi and Lord Naishi all dismounted and took refuge in a small temple, as the men kept watch outside. A map was laid out on the floor and small candle was lit.

"We are here," Kenichi pointed to a crossroads, "Down this road is the border to the Fief. We should reach it some time after day break," He looked at Lord Naishi, "What kind of reception do you think we'll receive, my lord?"

He took a breath, "They will be on alert. The border has always been guarded and more than likely it will be doubled with the war."

"Will they attack us?"

"If we come as a column, yes. But if I were to go on ahead and present myself that may be enough to convince them to let us through."

"That is if they are still loyal to you, my lord."