Chapter 33

Tomoe couldn't help herself

Tomoe couldn't help herself. But the sight of battle was simply too much for her to resist for long. So without asking permission of either Yasuhira or Noriyuki, and with only a loud battle cry indicating her intention, Tomoe drew her sword and rushed headlong into the fray. Her actions startled her patrons, naturally. And for several seconds both men watched the woman they loved more than their own lives risk her own in a foolish charge into glory. Of course they were immediately taken up with the thought of following her into battle, but it wasn't necessary. They would be withdrawing soon enough. Still, the sight of the savagely beautiful Tomoe Ame in the thick of war was something to behold. Yasuhira smiled, as he waved at Chizu and her troop of Neko to act as bodyguard for the reckless woman. Chizu spurred her horse forward and gave a loud war cry of her own, as the woman yearned for battle too. Yasuhira and Noriyuki laughed at one another. Neither man had known such women before. They were unique in the entire world more than likely.

Tomoe was so engrossed that she nearly cut down one of the Neko once they surrounded her. But she quickly collected herself and was thankful for their presence, as she had venture much too far into the ranks of the enemy before she realised her error. Chizu rushed up beside her and gave Tomoe a wink. She returned the gesture and then both women dove into the enemy, laughing as they went. But there was little left to the fighting by that point. Tomoe could already see that the majority of the enemy forces had been removed from the field of battle. The poor souls they were fighting were sacrificed to keep them occupied so the Shadow Lord could escape. Cruel, but sound strategy. Tomoe spurred her horse to small piece of high ground to witness the Hikiji withdrawal. Chizu ordered the Neko into an all-round defence of their Commander and then took up a position next to Tomoe, where she scanned for threats. As they were becoming fewer in number, Chizu took a moment to scan her Commander. Tomoe looked as natural as a duck on water in her surroundings. And how that made her heart soar.

The enemy was in full retreat. The Geishu and the Hikiji were cheering as they fled. Their Commander however wasn't jubilant. Tomoe removed an object from her saddle; it was a tube that she was able to extend and placed the narrow end to her eye. By some great magic that she didn't quite comprehend the tube made it seem as if the men were only a few steps away from where she was. It was quite remarkable, as she could watch their movements from a safe distance. And what she saw made her shake her head. Chizu was of course focused on the object.

"What is that, General?"

"I don't know what it's called. I found it in the Shadow Lord's castle," She handed it to Chizu, "Put the small end to one eye and look at the men retreating."

She did so, then brought it down again quite startled, "By the gods," She lifted it again, "They seem so close now."

"Yes, yes, but look at their movements. Do you notice something strange about the Hikiji's movements?"

Chizu lowered it, "Strange how?" She raised it again, "They're moving westward toward the Inoguchi lands."

She shook her head, "We have to return to our lines. I need a map."