Chapter 16

Tomoe felt like a fool

Tomoe felt like a fool. Of all the songs under heaven what in the world possessed her to choose something like 'Rain under the full autumn moon'? It had been years since she danced the silly thing. The lords were kind and slowly, methodically, prepared themselves for part to play. That pause naturally gave Tomoe the time needed to reacquaint herself with the steps. The woman twisted her mind left and right, up and down searching for the movements. She found a few, but not all. Gods' protect her. Finally, the lords were ready, even if she wasn't. They began to play. Tomoe flicked open the fan, turned her body and covered her face. She then turned around, lifted her arms and began to sway to the rhythm of the music set down by the lords. The beginning was always the easy part. It was all pantomime and dancing. In her youth she always enjoyed the non-speaking parts of such things. Tomoe had been unsure of the strength of her voice. She was doubly uncertain that evening.

I gave my heart and you did take it.

You held it up for the world to see.

I dance for joy as you held it close

I dropped to my knees as you set it free.

Her voice was very good, all things considered. She wasn't a singer by any stretch of the imagination, but the woman was doing her best and that was enough for the men playing for her. With her initial fears alleviated, her confidence grew with each new verse. And that assurance imbued her body and made her move more suggestively about the room.

You put my heart on display like a trophy.

You set me aside like an empty cup.

I sought you out for an explanation.

And you spurred me like a foolish pup.

Tomoe was becoming bolder with each note and every step. She glided across the floor and moved with great flamboyance. Of course the world beyond wondered just who was singing with the lords. Some recognised the voice, but others wouldn't believe it. Tomoe Ame, singing? Impossible. But she was. An unexpected talent, hidden behind her daisho. Both men could hardly concentrate on their playing, as she was so engaging. The song was thankfully a short one, and she was nearing the end.

I found another who rescued my heart.

He brushed it of and made it his own.

I take him now for my love

And leave you forgotten and alone.

The final few movements Tomoe improvised and whirled about with wild abandon; her hair, which she boasted was the longest in all the Geishu lands, whipped through the air, nearly striking Yasuhira. At last she knelt on the floor in perfect unison with the final note from the players. The men were ecstatic they showered her with applause and appreciative words. Tomoe basked in their recognition, though she wondered if they were simply being kind to a kinsman and host. It didn't matter. She enjoyed the admiration regardless of its motivation. Never in his wildest dreams did Noriyuki consider when the Hikiji had made the first overture to visit his lands that it would somehow include witnessing Tomoe Ame singing and dancing. But there she was, out of breath, showing a bit of sweat and beaming with pride at her accomplishment. She returned to her mat and poured some tea.