Chapter 28

Lord Hebi was restless

Lord Hebi was restless. Never in all his years of service had he been turned away when Lord Hikiji was in negotiations. But now he found himself wandering the halls of the castle like a cast off lover. Hikiji met with Lord Inoguchi in private. They had secluded themselves for several days now, emerging only to eat and rest. And in those off-hours, Hikiji offered no hint to Hebi as to their progress. Of course everyone had heard of Harabashi's annihilation by that upstart Noriyuki. All of which made the situation for the Hikiji all the more grave. Hebi was certain that vulture Inoguchi would demand more of the Hikiji lands, as his part in the war had grown considerably. The Shadow Lord could only muster a token force. But Masamune had finally taken up the mantle of Commander of the scant troops he had left and would lead his men personally. The cousin he had put in charge, and who had oddly enough avoided helping Masamune as he was being besieged, was executed. For the life of him, Hebi couldn't remember the cousin's name.

As Hebi wore a hole in the flooring, the doors to the audience chamber flew open. First the Inoguchi delegation emerged. And while Lord Inoguchi was looking solemn and calm, his retainers were smiling wide. Once they were gone, Hebi drummed up the courage to approach his lord. He peered into the room first and noticed Hikiji sitting on his raised platform, but his body had sunk and his hands covered his head. Hebi stepped through the threshold.

"Tono, are you well? Do require a healer?"

He bolted upright, which startled Hebi, "Come in, and shut the damn door behind you, Hebi."

Once he had done as he was ordered, Hebi made his way to his lord, but kept at arm's length away, as he wasn't certain what sort of mood Hikiji was in. The Shadow Lord looked fit to be tied.

"That bastard Inoguchi wants the fief I promised Harabashi on top of the Grand fief."

Taken aback, "But that is in the south, away from his own lands."

Hikiji scoffed, "So he also demands a corridor joining the two together," He shifted his position, "It will traverse the distance between them and be 25 Ri wide," He scoffed, "At first he wanted it to be 50. But I talked him down. No doubt 25 was what he had in mind in the first place."

Hebi had no words.

"I've lost over a third of my lands," He rubbed his eyes, "All without a sword being drawn."

Hebi became grim, "He will take more..."

Hikiji spat, "Of course he will. As the years drag on he'll chip away at what I have left until I am driven to the Northern Province, where the people still despise me for what I did to their lord, Mifune. Hardly a promising position to be in."

"Then once we have rid ourselves of Noriyuki we must turn our eyes on driving Inoguchi out of our lands."

"And how do you suggest we do that, old snake?" Hebi drew back, "His forces nearly rival the Shogun. So with what great stratagem do we undertake against such a host in this our most desperate hour?"