Chapter 15

The formal aspect of the evening had come to a close

The formal aspect of the evening had come to a close. However there was still a considerable amount of activity within the castle by both noble personages and servants. Though the latter were far more engaged than the former. Tori was hopping from one room to the next, giving orders, seeing things were done properly and all the while shoving food into her mouth. The woman was starving. She conversed with Takashi, who was all smiles and gave her the time needed to sate her appetite. He had to admit that he had some doubts as to whether or not Tori had the wherewithal to see the evening through. He couldn't be more pleased to see that he was wrong. He took her aside once she had finished her quick meal, and gave her bowl to Biru who bowed deeply.

"Tori-chan, I wanted to give my congratulations for your efforts this night. Lord Noriyuki was all smiles and good cheer when I spoke to him just now," He scoffed, "By the looks of things even the Hikiji were happy, if such a thing is possible."

Tori felt a twinge in her chest, as she may have eaten a bit too quickly, "Thank you, Takashi-san," She coughed once or twice, "There were some moments when I thought I would be overwhelmed by it all. The Hikiji kept us jumping."

He scoffed, "Please, allow me to take over for the remainder of the evening, you may go rest for you have to prepare for tomorrow's feast."

"I just have a few things..." She tried to get away.

He pulled her back, "I insist."

Tori was tired; her mind was as weak as her body. So she bowed and turned back to her quarters. As she did she passed Biru who still held the dishware she had given.

"Biru, stop dawdling in brining those dishes to the kitchen as I instructed."

The girl bowed, "Yes, Tori-chan. I am sorry."

"And once you've done that return to the laundry as there is still much to do there," Biru bowed, "And be aware I'll be making my inspections of the laundry first thing. So don't give me cause to make you all do it again."

She bowed once more, "Yes, of course."

Tori turned and walked away. Biru clutched the dish close to her chest and began to shake angrily. At last the girl did as she was told.

The Hikiji household was a fair less inundated with work than their Geishu hosts were. Their servants were more concerned with having their masters' wardrobe ready for the morning and seeing that their bedding was just right when they were ready to retire for the evening. But it did not seem that was the case. The dancing had inspired the Hikiji into some considerable frivolity. So in individual rooms, groups of nobility entertained themselves and in a few short hours they were becoming quite rowdy. Akako's head was pounding with all the ruckus. She wanted some sleep, but was kind enough to take over for Riku's duties, as she felt the girl deserved to have the night off after all of her efforts. But the Hikiji seemed to be in no mood to settle in. Much to her chagrin. Riku too was full of energy despite everything; the euphoria she felt hadn't dissipated and she was becoming anxious. She managed to corral Akako in the hall, as the girl was rushing from one end to another.