Chapter 29

Noriyuki had to admit that the Hikiji were superlative gardeners

Noriyuki had to admit that the Hikiji were superlative gardeners. He walked blissfully through the many galleries of rare flora and fauna, as his soldiers combed the rooms of the Hikiji castle. The Hikiji soldiers they found were slaughtered immediately. Servants, both male and female were taken prisoner. And all the time Noriyuki took several moments to admire the flowers and take in their sweet scent, much to the chagrin of his body guard who were on high alert; their eyes looking in all directions for assassins. But the castle had been abandoned of the main body of Hikiji soldiers. Only civilians were left in the town around the castle and servants inside the walls. Along with the soldiers, the Shadow Lord had vanished too. He slipped away, yet again and by the look of it, he was in a rush to meet with Lord Inoguchi's army. Noriyuki wasn't certain why Masamune quit the castle with such haste. Usagi's scouts had informed him of their movements, but when they arrived at the castle, the Hikiji were gone. In short order, Noriyuki found Masamune's private quarters. The young lord smiled upon entering. For the first time in many weeks he'd have a comfortable place to sleep.

Usagi wasn't thinking about sleep. He was beside himself with rage. He had failed in keeping an eye on the Shadow Lord. It was his primary duty. It was the very thing that gave his life purpose and the hope of avenging his lord Mifune and he failed. He could have pursued the Hikiji army, but to what end? His forces were too small and there was only one place Masamune could go, and that was to Lord Inoguchi. Still, he let the Shadow Lord slip through his grasp. And he took out his anger upon the very castle he and the Geishu had taken without much effort. Usagi smashed everything of value, tore down priceless scrolls and defiled works of art. He abused the prisoners that surrendered to him, men and women alike. He tore the black sun Mon from their clothes and brandished his blade at them. The Geishu couldn't understand Usagi's virulence, but they didn't object or speak out against his raging. The sufferings of the Hikiji hardly mattered to them anyhow.

As his rage was subsiding, due more to the fact that he had no real outlet in which to vent properly, a samurai came forward with a list of the more prominent prisoners that had been taken. They were mostly minor courtiers, maids, gardeners, but there was one name that interested Usagi.

"Bring this Yori to me immediately."

Yori didn't know why he had been dragged to the kitchens of all places to speak with a blasted Geishu samurai. But he had little choice. He was forced to kneel in front of Usagi and for some time not a word was exchanged between them.

"You are Yori, the Chief Retainer for the Hikiji household, correct?"

Yori took a breath and then nodded, thinking such an admission was hardly dishonourable and it was obvious the Geishu samurai already knew his identity. Usagi leaned closer.

"You had full access to the person of your lord?"

Now he was becoming concerned as to the direction the conversation was going. And the look on Usagi's face was not the sort that made Yori feel it would end equitably regardless of what he said. So he said nothing. Which is what Usagi expected.