Chapter 39

And so they set off back to the castle, leaving the armies of the nation still rooted where they were, in cold filthy mud and the wind picking up

And so they set off back to the castle, leaving the armies of the nation still rooted where they were, in cold filthy mud and the wind picking up. Chizu kept a respectful distance behind the pair and was thankful for the opportunity to shake out the many kinks she had acquired. Though she did turn an ear to the lord and lady and to better discern what they were talking about.

"When we heard about how you routed Harabashi, many of my own kinsmen wanted to put your head on spike."

Tomoe hardly reacted at such a declaration, "Why is that, great lord?"

"You are exceptional. And exceptional people raise fear in those who are not. And they fear you because they believe you may vie for the power they now hold."

Just as she thought, "I have no ambition for higher power. I served my lords. Nothing more."

"And what of their ambitions?"

Tomoe slowed her pace, which allowed Tokugawa to move on before he too stopped, "If they have such ambitions I have not been made privy to them. Both Lord Noriyuki and Yasuhira were dishonoured by the Shadow Lord. They fought the war for that purpose and that purpose alone."

"Do you think they succeeded considering he is still alive?"

"His ambitions are dead, my lord, and that's all Masamune ever was, ambitious."

Marvellous. Well said. Tokugawa was impressed with this woman. He stepped back to her side and together they moved on toward the castle. Chizu was beaming at how her great lady was handling the situation. If Tomoe had no ambition for higher power, Chizu made up for it, as she was already thinking of ways of making her lady the new Shogun over that foolish old man.

"Has your lord Noriyuki spoken of what he plans to do next?"

"He wants to go home. The Shadow Lord did great harm to our lands and he wants to heal those wounds."

"Admirable," The Shogun paused and Tomoe felt he wanted to say more, "And what of your plans, General?"

She started, "I follow the will of my lord."

He scoffed, "You are a General now, Lady Tomoe. You have to stop thinking like a country samurai. The gods have seen fit to put you on a path to a greater purpose."

Tomoe almost burst out laughing at that statement. She so wanted to inform the great lord that heaven had mentioned that already and she in turn told them what they could do with her destiny. But he wasn't talking about her path really, or the will of the gods. He was thinking of his own bloody damn ambition. That sentiment was as plain as the nose on his face.

"What purpose would that be, great lord?" Said with more than a hint of curt sarcasm.

Tokugawa stopped, "How adverse would be to serving another lord, as a General?"