Chapter 38

Tomoe stood at the edge of the foundation, staring out at the huge host of soldiers

Tomoe stood at the edge of the foundation, staring out at the huge host of soldiers. She tried to count their numbers but they were too vast. She tried to discern which clans they belonged to but there were too many, and there were many crests that she didn't recognise. But each of the main houses, representing the oldest families in all of Japan was present. And in the centre was the Shogun's personal battle standard. The woman removed her eyeglass and sure enough she saw the Shogun, or at least a man dressed in the Imperial Armour of the Tokugawa seated on his horse, waiting for something to happen. Tomoe closed the device and stepped back from the edge. Incredible. She had thought the armies of Yasuhira and Noriyuki were grand, but that was sight was beyond her comprehension. Of course seeing them so brazenly set out in the field begged one question above all others. How in the name of Enma's hell did they get so close without anyone noticing? There were still men in their main camp. But no signals were sent. No flares or other means of alerting the men fighting. Were they taken that unawares? It was all so peculiar. Tomoe turned back to the other bewildered men. They had much to discuss.

However, by looks of things Noriyuki was in a heated argument with Yasuhira. As she got closer, it was also apparent that Usagi was becoming enraged as well, but kept to himself. She quickened her pace.

"This is unacceptable. Totally unacceptable."

"I understand, but it must be so..."

"Never, I will never accept this. I will kill that bastard myself."

Noriyuki stepped around Yasuhira, with his hand on his sword and was making a beeline for the Shadow Lord, who was a few paces away, under guard. He didn't get far, as Yasuhira held him back, much like he had with Tomoe so long ago, by holding his sword hand tightly.

"There will be no more deaths, Noriyuki."

"I fought this war for one death above all others, Yasu," He was shaking, "I will not be denied. Not now. Not after everything I've lost."

He moved in closer, still not releasing the man, "There is more at work than your need for vengeance," He leaned in to his ear, "Powers that are beyond even my control or influence."

Stepping back, Yasuhira noticed how the words changed Noriyuki's expression. Were his suspicions true after all? Was this the work of heaven? Then there was the conviction in Yasuhira's tone. That more than anything made him reconsider his actions. Usagi hadn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. He turned toward the Shadow Lord and drew his sword.

"Lord Mifune."

Yasuhira had turned but did not make a move or said a word to stop the man. He had lost the will to do so. Masamune flinched as heard the name and then drew back once he realised whom that Mifune loyalist was. Kagemaru made violent gestures to come to his lord's aid, but he had been bound and was held in place by Chizu, who was grinning from ear to ear. But then a figure blocked his path and caused her smile to fade.