Chapter 21

Akarui Mae could hardly keep herself from laughing with delight at the carnage before her

Akarui Mae could hardly keep herself from laughing with delight at the carnage before her. Still in her disguise as Riku, Mae had ensconced herself in a corner of the pavilion out of harm's reach of the battle, but still able to witness the melee unfold. Oh what a delightful morning it had become. She had no idea Masamune would be as bold as to murder his own son and then have the audacity to blame the Geishu for that heinous crime. It was as if the man was nineteen again, full of vim and vigour and ready to take on the world. Perhaps she should make another play for the man once this latest adventure had run its course. And it did look like the Shadow Lord would win the day, as the Geishu were slowly being whittled away by the Neko. But of course there still was Yasuhira to contend with and he fought like a force of nature, which is what he was. He would be hard to strike down, but Mae decided that if the opportunity presented itself she would deal with her half-ling misbegotten son herself.

The group the Neko had surrounded quickly closed ranks and drew all weapons. Tajima found himself for the first time not only in pitched battle but fighting along his sister. They both took a moment to acknowledge each other.

"May the gods protect you, big sister."

"And you, my brother."

Usagi and Chizu found themselves once more fighting side by side. What a roundabout journey they had made together. They had been enemies, reluctant allies, friends and now lovers. He wasn't sure what their relationship was now. It was obvious she was loyal to Yasuhira. However if he suddenly turned on the Geishu where would that loyalty take her then? Chizu so wanted to say something. But she hadn't the words. And it didn't look like there was any time left anyway. The entire Neko clan must have been in Geishu. There were so many new faces. Perhaps they weren't all ninja, maybe there were hired swords in there too, which meant they would be sub-par warriors. Maybe that would tip the balance in the Gieshu's favour. If their samurai were up to the task themselves of course. Only the gods knew the outcome of the battle about to get underway. She only wished that she had a proper sword to fight with, but she was confident that one would become available soon enough.

Naka ordered the attack. But it was Yasuhira who struck first. The man was a blur. He rushed headlong into the throng and cut down three men and two women, before either side realised what was happening. Quickly those trapped within the circle followed him; they closed ranks to shelter each other and fought their way through the throng of warriors. They chopped and slashed, cut and thrust into each body that presented itself. Usagi was on Yasuhira's left and Chizu his right. Thankfully the woman had divested one of her opponents of his sword once the opportunity presented itself. But left him her cane sword, though it would do him little good driven up to the handle in his guts. Naka watched the battle from a safe distance. He noticed that along the perimeter the other Geishu samurai and the City Watch were holding their own. But they were not important. Yasuhira's death was the ultimate goal and it didn't look as if that was going to happen any time soon. The ninja knew Yasu was strong, but he couldn't believe his eyes at just how skilled Yasuhira was. He picked up one warrior, held him like a shield and then with a great cry pushed his way through the horde using the man like a club. Until finally tossing him aside like a doll, and knocking down three more men in the process. Naka thought it best to start phase two. If the primary plan failed that would be some consolation. He removed a small firecracker from a bag he kept slung around his body and let it fly. There was a bright red explosion high in the sky.