Chapter 42

"Would you like to sing?" He inquired.

"Of course!" Replied Christine as she rose from the couch.

Erik sat on the piano bench and began playing scales so that Christine could warm up her voice. Afterwards, he removed the music resting on the stand in front of him and handed the sheets to her.

"I wrote this song while you've been at home... I have it memorized, so I don't need to look at the music. I think you will be able to sing it perfectly..." He said with a loving smile.

"Thank you, Erik." Christine said before looking over the music.

"I like it!" She chirped, causing him to chuckle.

"I'm glad. Now, let's begin." Erik said before beginning the intro of the song.

Christine's voice accompanied his playing after a few seconds. Erik smiled at how much her voice had improved after only 2 previous lessons.
The song was halfway over when the door was thrown open, causing the music to come to an abrupt halt. In stomped Gaston.

"Who's voice is that?!" He questioned loudly.

"Mine, Monsieur..." Replied Christine quietly.

Gaston walked up to her and looked her straight in the eyes. A serious expression was displayed across his face as he said,

"Christine, God has given you a gift. Your voice, it's... Astonishing. It is the most amazing one I've ever heard."

"Monsieur Leroux... You're Christian?"

"Yes, I am."

Christine smiled.

"So am I!"

"Erik, you're very blessed to have her. Perhaps she'll change your Atheistic ways." Gaston said, glancing towards his employee.

Erik rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

"We were just talking about that this morning!" Said Christine.

Gaston chuckled before returning to the previous subject.

"I would be honored if you would consider... Sharing your talent with the world?"

"You mean... Singing here?"

"Precisely."

Gaston turned to Erik.

"Erik, you wouldn't mind giving up a few minutes of your act for Christine, would you?"

"Of course not! I think it's a very good opportunity for her. She should take it."

"What do you say, Miss Daae?" Gaston asked.

"...I accept your offer, Monsieur."