Chapter 32

Erik sat on the right edge of his bed, and Christine watched him cautiously remove his shirt. She sat across from him, so that his back was facing her. He arched his back and exposed his scarred, muscular flesh. The details were barely visible in the moonlight entering through the window. Christine gazed in wonder. Erik's skin was almost completely covered in puffy pink lashes, undoubtedly from a whip.

"I know... They're hideous. You don't have to say it." Erik stated.

Christine said nothing in reply. Instead, she came up behind Erik and spread her hands on his broad back. She began tracing his scars with her right index finger. After a few seconds, she heard him sobbing.

"Angel... What's wrong?" She asked as she nuzzled his neck.

"I... I don't understand how it's possible for you to... Love me." He somberly replied.

"You're amazing, Erik. Those who don't think so are... foolish." Christine purred as her lips neared his jawline, where she planted a soft kiss.

"You are the best thing that has ever happened to me." Erik whispered.

"The same goes to you." Christine replied as she climbed onto his lap.

Erik held her gently, caressing her cheek with his left hand.

"I have scars too, you know..." She said.

Erik sighed, knowing where her scars came from.

"You were treated unjustly, my dear... Both of us were." He whispered.

Christine closed her eyes, smiled, and relished in Erik's soothing touch.

"Mon ange... I let you see my scars. May I see yours?" He inquired.

"Hm? Oh... I suppose, if that's what you want..." Christine's voice trailed off.

Erik could tell that the memories of abuse from her ex- husband were flooding back to her.

"Im sorry. I understand if you'd like to stay away from the topic..."

"No, no... You let me see your painful past. It's only fair that I show you mine." Christine said quietly as tears welled up in her eyes.