Chapter 40

"I shall show you one last trick, Nadir." Said Erik.

"But-"

"One last trick."

"...Okay."

Erik removed what seemed to be a broken rubber band from his pocket. Holding the rubber string in his right hand, he asked Nadir to let him borrow his wedding band. The Persian hesitantly complied, not knowing what kind of trick Erik could have up his sleeve.

The magician strung the ring on the rubber string and stretched it out diagonally, his left hand lower than his right. The wedding band rested near his left thumb.

"Observe." He simply stated as the wedding band began creeping up the string.

Nadir, his wife, and Christine gasped. Once the ring was almost touching Erik's right hand, he removed it from the rubber string. After placing it in his palm and admiring it for a few seconds, he carelessly dropped it in his pocket and looked towards Nadir, who's expression was that of a distraught toddler.

"Daroga, look at your finger." Erik said nonchalantly.

Nadir did as he was told, and found his wedding band back on his left ring finger!

"That was amazing! Astounding! Magnificent!" He said as he began applauding.

Almost immediately, his wife, Christine, and the double-take man joined in.

Erik bowed, took Christine's hand, and led her to an empty table so she could sit down while he entertained the rest of the customers.

"Is there anything I can get for you?" He inquired.

"...A kiss would be nice." She murmured in a barely audible voice.

"Could you please repeat that, my dear? I couldn't hear you."

A warm blush made its way onto Christine's cheeks.

"U-Ummm... A kiss would be nice..." She said, a little louder.

Erik smiled and bent down to softly peck her lips.

"Anything else?"

"That's all. Thank you."

"My pleasure." Erik said as he rushed off to perform magic tricks for the other customers.

It was evident that he loved his job. He seemed to be enjoying every minute of his shift, every shocked expression of his customers, every laugh, every round of applause. Christine sighed happily and waited for him to return to her, which he eventually did.

"Are you ready to go, mon ange?" Erik asked as he held his hand out to her.

"Yes, my love." She responded, taking his hand and standing up.