Chapter 52

As she dusted the railing of the main staircase, Christine's housemate entered the building. They both froze and locked eyes. Suddenly, she noticed something red drip down his right cheek, beneath his mask. She immediately set down her feather duster, walked to him, and, centimeter by centimeter, reached for his mask. He made no move to stop her, and she removed the porcelain covering. What she saw caused her eyebrows to furrow and her mouth to fall wide open.

    Erik's deformity was irritated, scratched, and bleeding. Within a matter of seconds, Christine's eyes were filled to the brim with tears.

"Erik, what happened?" She asked, the tears overflowing onto her cheeks.

"I was angry at myself for being so excessively rude to you this morning." He responded, his eyes practically glued to the floor.

He couldn't bear to watch her cry, or to watch her be sad in general. Knowing that he was the source of her unhappiness caused him to feel far too ashamed to be able to meet her once-again-disappointed gaze.

"It really h-hurts to see you like this..." She told him as her voice became a hoarse whisper.

"I'm sorry, Christine... I didn't mean to hurt you." He responded.

She dropped her stare to the ground and slowly shook her head.

"Please, Erik... never do this again."

He was silent.

"Erik, please!" She cried, her voice ringing with desperation as she looked back up at him and grabbed his suit front with both of her hands.

He finally mustered up the courage to look her in the eyes, which were still laden with tears.

"I won't do it again." He finally mumbled.

Christine loosened her grasp on his clothing.

"Thank you... I love you..." She said as she forced a smile.

"Christine...?" Erik asked.

"Yes?" She replied as she dried her eyes with her hands, somehow still retaining her grip on his mask.

"This morning, you said something about... your Savior's death... not... being... the end...? I sincerely apologize for interrupting when you tried to tell me that, but... I would like to know the ending..."

Christine's expression brightened.

"I would love to tell you the ending. Let's go get you cleaned up, and I'll continue this morning's discussion, if it's okay with you."

"I'd like that."

"I'm glad. Now, where exactly are your medical supplies...?"