Chapter 13: Gengar

Start from the beginning

"Have you always been able to read hearts?" She nodded "It looks like you were an easier target for these shadows. I'm sure dad wanted to change before I got the chance to go and meet-" I stopped.

"What are you talking about?" I shook my head, accidentally almost telling her the truth, and ate more of my food. It's too soon to tell her.

"Sorry! I was thinking of my dad!" I nervously laughed. She stayed quiet and looked out the window again "Say... can we battle?"

"Battle? You and me?" She looked unsure "I don't think that's a good idea"

"We need to practice. You can't be scared your whole life. My dad used to tell me 'Be strong... the world's not always black and white... you have to find the colors, and to do that..." her eyes widened.

"You have to face the darkness of things" we said together, we were both surprised "Your father said the same thing my father told me" She cupped her mouth.

"Do you remember something?" I gasped, wondering if she recalled meeting me.

"No... It must've been a popular saying" she chuckled. I sighed and nodded. I need to be patient.

"Anyway... Let's go battle" she looked uncomfortable "Come on. You know you have to do this eventually, right?"

"I do"

"You need to battle with your Blitzle. Your other Pokémon are way too strong for me" She giggled.

"I suppose that's true. I do need to battle with Blitzle"

"And you should catch yourself some more Pokémon. Who knows when your egg will hatch" we agreed on our battle conditions for two on two and looked for a place. I sent out my new Pokémon; Rufflet, that I met on the route to the city when it was caught in a net.

"Hello, Rufflet!" Angel waved to it. Rufflet flapped its wings to her and flew over to me to poke on my head with its beak.

"Ow! Hey! I already fed you!" I glared. Angel was preparing her Blitzle before it ran to the battlefield between us.

Electric vs. Flying, she has the type advantage, but strategy is always the best way next to power!

"Ready!?" I asked her. She frowned and looked around "It's okay! Just remember what I told you about battling! And remember what dad said!" She looked at me confused "I mean, our dad(s)!"

"O-Okay... I'll try" she took a deep breath and sighed for a moment before facing me again "I-I'm ready! Double team..." Blitzle nodded and multiple itself, Rufflet and I looked for the real one.

"Rufflet! Wing attack!" Rufflet flapped his wings and made the multiple Blitzles disappear "Great! Double Team then Rock Tomb!" Rufflet multiplied himself and created a boulder over his head. Angel covered her ears and looked miserable.

"I can't do it!" She started crying. I held my arm out to stop Rufflet from attacking.

"You can do it! Relax!" She shook her head and sat on her knees, crying out loud. Litwick appeared and mimicked her crying.

"No!!!" She shouted. Litwick started glowing. It-It's ... evolving!? Litwick transformed into a Lampent, but the two of them continued to cry.

"Angel! Get a hold of yourself!" I shouted.

"Shadow ball! Shadow ball! Shadow ball! Shadow ball!!" she shouted repeatedly. Lampent took over the battle and created multiple Shadow Balls to attack Rufflet.

"Dodge!" Rufflet hesitated but moved out the way in time "use Double Team! Then Aerial Ace!" Rufflet multiplied himself and they all flew over to strike Lampent to the ground. Angel stopped crying and looked confused.