Season 9 Episode 9: Scouts

Heather sat across the food truck from Owen, her arms rapped around her legs. Anxiety surged through her. She could barely keep it cool. The banging from the undead didn't slow down, she could still tell they where right there.. outside the door.

She wiped a tear away. Owen was passed out, blood all over his side, on his arms and a small puddle next to him. She was waiting for him to turn, and she wasn't going to stop him from killing her.

The bandages rapped all around his body, his arm laying across his lap. Head hanging from an upright position.

"Owen," She whispers to him. Not knowing if it was him, or the undead still laying there.
"DONT FUCKING DIE ON ME YOU SELFISH FUCK," She shot up and threw a few things across the truck. Hitting the wall above Owens head.

"Uhhh.." She heard. Looking down at him, he was reaching for her. "Owen.." The crying started again, she readied her knife, switching her mind, she wanted to put him down if he was dead.

"Don't call me selfish," He says opening his eyes to a squint. When she heard it, she instantly jumped forward at him and hugged him.

"Agh fuck!" Owen screeches as she hits his wound.
"I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry," She wipes her face and sets her forehead against his.
"Look," He says. He grabs her hand.
"I don't know how long till I'll be ready to leave," He says.
"We can stay in here as long as you need," she laughs and assured him.

* * * * * *

The sun started coming up, Arthur wakes up, looking to his side, Kiara was still resting her head on his chest. The street around then was cleared of anyone, or the infected.

"You know... I'm happy," She says.
"Oh I didn't know you were awake," Arthur says rubbing her back, the street around them had an orange tint to it. "Why are you happy?" Arthur asks her.

She sat silent for a second.
"Look around, there might be a million of the dead around us, looking for us, but we have eachother, we keep each other safe," She says.

Arthur suddenly gets a flash of Glenn being killed in front of him.
"People helping people," She adds.
Again, a flash of him running away, screams in the background, gunshots and glass being broken. But not because people helping people, but because of people's greed.

"You don't know, what it's like, People don't help people," Arthur says.
"What?" She asks.
"Before we got here, a month ago, we had a community, a huge one, we traded with other communities, but these people came, and they wanted to take charge and ruin everything we built," Arthur says.
"What happened..." she got silent.
"The four of us, well... were here now aren't we," Arty stops explaining and he sits up.

* * * * * *

"Damnit Arthur where did you put my stuff," Kolton searched around the car they where working on.
The garage door opens and Evelyn walks in, holding the tool Kolton was looking for.
"You come to talk shit about my group again?" He asks as he points to the tool she's holding.

She holds it out for him to grab.
"Look, Kolton, I didn't mean to come off like that," He takes the tool from her.
"What? Bitchy?" He says going over to the motor of the car.
"Yeah actually," She says.

Kolton starts working on what he was before she came in.
"Look, its fine, you probably don't remember the last time you seen fresh faces, and for us to walk in and make ourselves at home that quick, there's no need to apologize about being weary of us, I get it," Kolton explains.

They both stand in silence for a moment.
"You need help?" She asks.
"You know how to work on this?" He asks.
"You kidding me? The first car I had was rebuilt by yours truly," She says. Kolton hands her a rag and starts explaining what he needs done on the car.

Olivia walks past the garage door, takes a step back and looks in. Seeing the two work on the car together. She was about to say something when she cut herself off and just walked away from the door.

* * * * * *

"What do you think they sold out this truck?" Owen asks Heather, the two look around, banging from the undead continued as they thought.

"I'm guessing fried chicken," She says, the posters on the wall has the menu items on it. The paint on the seats of what the truck was named was chipped away. But they could barely make out "Chicken."

Suddenly the banging from the undead stops, the two notice and sat worried.
"What's going on?" Owen whispers to her.
"I don't know," she says and stands up. As soon as her body was fully stretched, the door flung open and a man in all camo stood there, gun to his side and a hat most likely a stolen valor.

"Weapons and Supplies, everything on the ground," The man says.
Heather stood shocked, Owen stood up when the man grabbed her and threw her out the truck.
"HEY!" Owen yelled, around them were the dead bodies of all the infected.

"Watch it boy," Another man standing to his side says, this one was holding an assault rifle up.
Heather was laying on the ground as Owen stepped out the truck, holding his side. It still hurt him.

"Now you haven't seen two of our people around here have you?" The man asks.
"No, but it'd be nice to know who the hell im talking to," Owen says.

"Me? Names Carter, this here is my partner Benny, we where sent out here to look for the rest of my ground crew," Carter says taking a step towards Owen.
"I don't care who YOU are, who are you two affiliated with," Owen asks him, seeing the same red patch on his shoulder that the other two guys they killed had on.

"Us? Well me and Benny here are scouts for the New Dawn," He says. Owen pauses, adrenaline flows through his veins, he wondered how the New Dawn got this far, how they had people up here. They drove far enough away right?

Owens eyes open wide and he lunges forwards with his fist clenched, hitting Carters jaw and knocking him a few steps back.

Within a breath, Benny raised his foot and kicked Owen where the bandages are rapped around his body. Owen hits the concrete next to Heather and hits his head off the ground. Knocking him out.
"OWEN!" Heather yells as Benny kicks Owen in the stomach, then again in his bullet wound.
"That.. was not cool," Carter says readjusting himself.
"Not cool,"