Season 9 Episode 5: Headlights

There Owen was, standing in front of The Homestead, gates wide open like the place they where just before. His mask above his mouth but under his nose.
"Dad," Olivia says crying over Glenn's body. Kolton standing behind her, Arthur, somehow untouched by the New Dawn was walking around them. Explaining what happened.

"Arty.. Leave me alone for a minute," Owen says kneeling down. He puts his hand in the gravel.
This wasn't like The Capital, there weren't dead walking, the body's where fresh here.

"Every single one of them, I'm killing.. every single fucking one of them," Kolton adds, hoping his Bike is okay.

Olivia continued to cry as she layed a sheet she made Arthur grab over her father. Most of the Buildings where on fire, smoke in the air, but not like the Barbecue before.

"Owen, this was my home, since birth all I've ever known," Arty says crying, standing with his moms pistol in his hand, looking at the side of it.

"Arthur," Kolton snaps at him. Arthur continues to cry, as Owen grabs the gravel.
"FUUUUUCK!" Owen yells.

"Owen.." Olivia says.
Owen stands up and walks over to the truck ignoring her.
"Owen.." she says again. Her brother punches the window and slams the door closed.
"FUCK!" He yells.
"OWEN!" Olivia screams.

He stops, looks over to his sister and Kolton.
"Every single one of them," Owen says.
"Owen.." Olivia says, trying to calm her brother down.
"What," he answers and looks over to her.

"Leave it alone, we can't do this, we need to leave," Olivia says standing up. She walks over to her brother, whose face was beat red, eyes draining tears down to his chin.
"We, we can't man, they took dad," Owen has a hard time speaking, stuttering over his shaky voice and crying.

"If they did this, twice, what do you think they could do to us, 4 fucking people Owen, I can't lose you, I can't lose everything left," She says grabbing her brothers hand.

Owen pulls his hand away and steps back.
"But I-"
"No, we need to go, with whatever we have left," She cuts him off.
Kolton walks over to the armory, looking for his Bike.

Arthur sets his moms pistol in the holster and looks at the siblings.
"Owen, I seen these people, there not who we wanna fuck with," Arty adds.

Owen opens the truck door and sits in the driver seat, head on the steering wheel.

* * * * * * * * * *

A few hours had passed, the four left alive from the Homestead sat quietly while Olivia was driving. No direction, just somewhere, far, and away from The New Dawn.

"I gotta Piss," Owen said, breaking the silence.
"We can stop up here at the strip mall, maybe look for some more clothes and food," Olivia says with one hand in the steering wheel, another resting her head.

In the backseat, Kolton and Arthur where both passed out. It was a long day, the night sky was filled with stars and the moonlight had a shine that reflected off the hood of the truck.
"Alright," Owen agrees looking out the window.

Olivia pulls the car towards the front of one of the clothing stores, she keeps the headlights on pointed at the metal gates, reflecting off gave enough light to make them feel safe.

Owen got out the car and stretched.
"I think we're in Tennessee," he says looking at a store literally called "Tennessee Thrifters,"
"What gave you that idea" Olivia jokingly exclaims.
"Just a gut feeling," Owen then walks over to the side of the building, unzips and let's starts to pee.

"You just do that everywhere?" An unfamiliar voice says behind him. Owen quickly turns towards the woman's voice and without breaking his stream, continues.

"What the fuck?" He says wide eyed, he looks the girl in the eyes, then he looks over to the car, but everyone was in it and no one was paying attention.

Owen stood baffled as to why there was a girl looking him eye to eye while he took a leak.
"Who the fuck? Why the fuck? I'm trying to piss wait," he said and turned back around.

"So I'm guessing it's a yeah huh," she says.
Owen looks over his shoulder back at the girl while he finished and zips his pants up.
"If your gunna kill me just do it already damn," he says confused.

"And why would I do that?" She says still looking at his pants.
Owen turns to face her, he realizes he doesn't have any of his weapons on him.
"I don't know, why would you come up to a random guy at like 2 in the morning in the middle of a apocalypse while he's taking a piss?" Owen asks.

"Well, guessing from how old you look, me and you aren't in the middle of the apocalypse, we where born in it," she says putting her hand on her hip.

"Right... but I mean still, what the hell are you doing out here anyway," He asks her.

She lights up a cigarette and looks at Owen, "you smoke?" She asked.
"Fuck yeah, I haven't had one in almost a day," He says, she hands him one, lights it and she turns around, walks over to an old yellow painted parking railroad tie and sits down.

"I'm Heather by the way," She says taking a pull from her pre-rolled cigarette.
"I'm Owen, you still didn't say why you're out here," He says doing the same as her.

"Well I seen your car pull up pretty close to where my people are sleeping, thought maybe I'd come make friends, making sure you weren't like those crazy mother fuckers who set the Mijers on fire," She says.

"Wouldn't know, me and my people aren't from around here," Owen answers.
"I could kinda tell from your northern accent," She says.
"Well actually I'm from South Carolina born and raised," He answers.

The two talk for a minute when Olivia comes out the car, over to where her brother is.
"Owen you alright over here?" She asks and comes around the corner and sees the two.

"Oh, hello?" She questions.
"Oh I totally forgot you where waiting, anyway, this is Heather," Owen jokingly introduces her.