2.25 Declaration of War

Start from the beginning

.

Ai took her time going downstairs from the upstairs bleachers.

As she walked down the halls alone, she saw two people coming from the opposite direction.

Kindaichi glanced up and did a double-take, looking behind him. Ai noticed that the corners of his eyes were a little red from crying.

"Kageyama went the other way," Kunimi told her. 

She nodded. "Thank you, Akira."

Ai walked up to the two silent first-years who stood with tangled feelings of defeat. Gently, she shook hands with each of them. "I look forward to seeing you again, Yūtarō, Akira."

Neither of them met her eyes. It was understandable.

Her voice was soft and relayed her sincerity. "Give my best to the second-years for me. I'd love to talk with them sometime."
The next occasion would most likely be Kyōtani's birthday in mid-December. The only thing was that she didn't know Kyōtani, Yahaba, or Watari's personal contact information.

The first-years pursed their lips. Kageyama's manager was hard to hate.

Nodding to them both, she respectfully took her leave.

.

The younger setter was already with the group when she got to them.

"Ai!" Nishinoya shouted when he noticed her. He ran towards her with his hands raised for high fives.

"Yū." She ignored his intentions and hugged him instead. "Congratulations. I'm so proud of you."

The libero laughed and squeezed her tighter, spinning them around in circles.

When her dear friend let go, she glanced around at the others' faces.

They were grouped up in their own conversations with each other or the adults, but the guys stopped to look at her when Nishinoya's yelling had gotten their attention.

All of them seemed happy to have won, but Hinata was quieter than usual. The orange-haired boy knew that Oikawa had reacted to his last spike.

She smiled at them. "Daichi-san, Asahi-san, Kōshi-senpai, Ryū, Shōyō, Tobio, Kei, Tadashi. All of you were outstanding. Congratulations."

They grinned back and voiced various replies.
"Yeah!"
"Thanks."
"Yes!"

After having chatted with Shimada and Takinoue for a minute, Ukai called everyone to hurry and change so they could head out. However, there was one more thing Ai wanted to do before they left.

.

The matches for today were over, ending with two semifinals, one of which Karasuno had won. The staff of the tournament were taking down the nets in the big gymnasium. The audience had already left, and school teams were just about to leave after changing out of their numbered uniforms.

Speculating where the captain would be, Ai wandered around until she saw Ushijima and Oikawa in conversation by one of the entrances. Just who she was hoping to find.

The one in turquoise noticed her first as she slowly approached the two, careful to not interrupt. Oikawa finished what he was saying and smiled bitterly at her.

Seeing his change in expression and line of sight, Ushijima turned around. "Akatsuki Ai."

"Ai-chan, what're you doing here?" Oikawa tried to keep a light and friendly tone.

She froze still for a millisecond and then curtsied a little to the Great King and Eagle Ace. "Ushijima-san, Tōru-san."

"Do you need something?" Ushijima asked when she didn't leave.