Akatsuki Ai's Birthday (June 8)

This is where the image comes from:

http://tv.kurobas.com/matsuri/oedo/

***

Ai's day started with a message from Akashi in the morning. She got up to the sound of birds chirping in the baby blue sky and sat at the edge of her bed, legs dangling just above the carpet. The first thing she did was open her phone and read his text.

Seijuro: Happy birthday, Ai. I'll call you after practice.

The short message had her heart already bursting with happiness. Beaming at her phone, she sent a reply before she got prepared for the school day.

Ai: Thank you, Seijuro. I'll be waiting.

She greeted her parents as usual and ate breakfast with them.

Daichi and Sugawara had told her yesterday that she didn't need to come to the usual 7 am morning practice, so she had more time; the captains wanted to give her a small break on her birthday and exempted her from part of her duties. Despite her trying to reason with them, the second and third-years had all urged her to take the absence.

Spending a relaxing morning, she prepared her bag for school and left the house, telling her mother that she may be coming home late. It was a Friday, so she would have to attend both clubs. Sadō practice lasted for about three hours, and then a short hour with the guys.

Although she took her time walking to school, enjoying the bright June morning that promised to get humidly hot later on, she arrived a bit too early to go to class.

Deciding to pop into the gymnasium first, she changed course and headed across the dusty courtyard to the side of the main campus. If they were already finished, she could walk to the classrooms with everyone. If they weren't, she'd wait until they were done and possibly lend a hand to Kiyoko, should they have anything to do in the meantime.

The door was open, and she peeked inside. Everyone was standing in a group listening to the captain speak.

"...about, let's see, ten minutes early?" Daichi turned to the vice-captain for his thoughts.

"Oh, come on! She deserves more than that! Make it twenty, and then we'll all go to Sakanoshita after," Sugawara persuaded. "Right, Shimizu?"

The older manager nodded with a rare smile. It shot an arrow through the hearts of her two admirers.

Then, something clicked in Tanaka, and he shook his head to clear his daydream of infatuation. "Okay, but who's gonna tell Take-chan?" he interjected.

"Oh, yeah! And, Ukai-san?" the libero snapped out of it and added.

"I'll let them know," Daichi answered. "But, don't tell her, got it?" Although it was Ennoshita and Narita who were in her same class, he stared at the two talkative ones.