2.11 Up Above (part two)

Author's Note:

Just a heads up; I'm going to add on a bit to the previous chapter later! (Not today, but as soon as I finish)

Whew, long chapter this week! (I keep wanting to update earlier for all of you, but it takes longer than expected...) But, I think I'm pretty proud of this one. 😊

I know people have different opinions about Kuroo (and maybe about the way I write about him in this book), but personally, I love him! He's honestly one of my favorite characters and I wanted to include him somehow, but I feel bad that it turned out this way... like a case of unrequited love.😞 I don't want to make him the bad guy or an object of pity or anything, but I'm really sorry for using him like this. Anyway, I hope just being friends with him is okay. 💙

***

Everyone chatted and got to know one another. All of the teams talked about their residences, in Tokyo or in Miyagi, and their respective tournaments.

Hinata, Lev, and Kenma chatted for a bit. Most of the volleyball teams talked amongst themselves and occasionally joined the main conversation. Ai evenly participated in each group, being as personable as possible. Ennoshita, Kinoshita, and Narita talked about their summer homework, while Tanaka and Nishinoya discussed volleyball and romance with Taketora. Akaashi entertained Kageyama's questions about being Fukurōdani's setter, and Nigou frisked about from person to person. The puppy jumped over outstretched legs and searched for the player who would give him the most attention or food. Eventually, he settled down next to Ai, away from the other person from America, to Kagami's great relief. Ai absentmindedly pet his fluffy fur, giggling when remembering her boyfriend's dislike for disobedient dogs.

Bokuto talked with Kuroo and Kai as captains, after getting along very well with Kise. Sugawara bashfully exchanged the team's embarrassments with Yaku, and Inuoka bounced between Hinata's group of three and the other first-years on his team. Asahi quietly relaxed with Tsukishima and Yamaguchi, and the basketball idiots talked about basketball. Hinata and Lev had to ask around for the newcomers' heights, and Karasuno's Number 10 explained his first impressions of Murasakibara and Himuro. Daichi made polite small talk with Akashi, and Momoi befriended Yachi and Kiyoko while Ai was busy playing hostess.

"It's wonderful to meet you, Reo-san. Thank you for being Seijuro's vice-captain." Ai smiled at Rakuzan's shooting guard while Akashi sat between them and listened.

"It's my pleasure! Sei-chan's a marvelous captain," he replied good-naturedly, smiling.

"I wonder if Shintarō-kun was as happy as you seem to be with the position," Ai said, glancing at Midorima who looked uncomfortable among the crowd of cats.

Akashi chuckled. "Well, I will say that I miss you on my team, Ai. Higuchi-san was a good teammate, but no one can fulfill the manager position as you do."

"No one except Satsuki, you mean." She gave him a look. "She and I come as a pair, thank you," she sassed.

His maroon eyes glimmered teasingly. "And, what of your new companions?" He meant Kiyoko and Yachi.

"Different sport," she answered simply. Just as Sugawara was the only one who could scold Daichi, Ai was the only one who could ever correct Akashi; the Absolute Emperor never made any errors to begin with, so it was a rare occurrence. "Speaking of Higuchi-san, I heard he joined the college street basketball team."

Akashi nodded.

"That's right!" Mibuchi cheerfully confirmed. "He and Mayuzumi-san both graduated this spring."

"It's a shame I couldn't meet them before they did," she said as she caught Akaashi watching over them fondly from beside a loud Bokuto. Ai smiled at the rufous-legged owl. "Seijuro, did you know Keiji-kun is also a second-year and the vice-captain for his team?" she introduced.