(((The Second-years' Start of Summer)))

Kind of a spoiler?

This flashback happens in Chapter 2.17 Fight of the Spineless.

Skip this if you'd like.
You do not have to read this; I have the same thing in the later chapter and it's just here for reference.

***

Summer
After Interhigh

'Until the Spring High's over, the third-years will continue to lead the team. But, you second-years need to at least start thinking about who's going to be the next captain,' the coach had said.

The five of them and Ai had a conversation that night, discussing among the second-years what to do after their upperclassmen retired from the club. Nishinoya and Tanaka had gotten frozen treats after practice as well, which they ate while walking home together.

It reminded her of how she had often joined the Generation of Miracles, except Akashi, to the convenience store. Aomine, Kuroko, Kise, and Murasakibara loved getting a snack after gruesome practices, and Ai would sometimes get different ice cream flavors to trade and eat together with Momoi. Midorima would also agree to hang out, most of the time.
It had been unfortunate that her boyfriend couldn't go with them; he had to maintain a good reputation for his family name.

"What do you think about what Ukai-san said?" Ennoshita asked aloud, bringing her out of her memories.

"The next one, huh?" Tanaka pondered. "What are you gonna do next year, Ai?"

"If I may be greedy, I'd like to continue both clubs like I am now, with sadō and volleyball."

"Sure you can. I mean, you joined sadō first, right?"

"But volleyball requires more time and commitment."

Tanaka shrugged. "We're just lucky we have you in the first place."

Kinoshita and Narita nodded.

It brought a smile to her face. "Thank you, Ryu. I'll talk to Hitoka-chan about it."

"And, that brings us back to who's gonna be the next captain."

"I think Chikara should do it," Nishinoya was the first to suggest.

"What? Why?" he reacted.

"Just 'cause," the libero replied, stopping in the middle of the countryside road to eat his blue soda popsicle in two bites.

Tanaka was too susceptible to getting carried away, and liberos couldn't be captain. Kinoshita and Narita both declined the position. But even without the elimination method, choosing Ennoshita was the reasonable decision.

Ai also shared the opinion that the wing spiker would be best suited for being next in line to become captain.

"According to the rules, liberos can't become the team captain, right?" the Number 5 confirmed.

"Yup!"

Ai gave the Guardian Deity a hug, in case Nishinoya had wanted to be the captain if he could.

"I think Tanaka's qualified too, but looking at the first-year lineup..." Kinoshita listed off, thinking logically. "Simpleton idiots, and a crabby guy..."

"Yeah, I do think we need someone really calm at the top." Narita added quickly, "You know, besides Ai."

"Nice to know that you think I'm calm, Kazuhito," she smirked.

"You are, most of the time," Kinoshita agreed.

She giggled. "Thank you, Hisashi. I'll take that as a compliment."