1.9 A Toss to the Ace

Who are your favorite characters?
I'll try to add more scenes with them!
(Can be Haikyuu or KnB.)

***

Ai worked hard to make up for the other day when she was absent. They practiced the regimen she had come up with, and Nishinoya gave special lessons to the two first-years as the team's official libero.

The position's name was derived from the Italian meaning of "free", to signify the player's freedom to go in and out of the court for substitutions. Ai believed that it accurately represented his free-spirited nature and thought that it suited him very well. Nishinoya was also hardworking and strict with himself. Tanaka noticed his friend's bruises, as did she.

Although they were the same age, Nishinoya was like a kind big brother to her. He himself was delighted with the concept of someone looking up to him instead of people always looking down on him, literally, with or without bad intention. Her runs to the drug store would get more and more often as she thought of new ways to support the team.

.

When Ukai came in with Takeda-sensei, he spotted Ai and flinched. He announced a practice game with the Community Volleyball Team at six-thirty that evening. They had little time before their game the first week of May, and the new coach wanted to see just how much they can do.

When she went up to greet him, Ukai jumped back and pointed a finger.

"You! You knew this was going to happen! Those red eyes of yours..." he grumbled.

"You mustn't point fingers, Coach Ukai. It's impolite." She held out her hand at an angle that showed off the back of her hand, as if she were asking a gentleman to kiss it.

Oblivious, he took her extended hand normally and shook it. "Humph. Doesn't matter now. You're the manager, right? I'm expecting as much from you."

"Of course. I look forward to working with you." She nodded to Takeda-sensei and excused herself.

.

When Hinata saw and called Asahi over from the window, she couldn't help but smile. He was coming back. As Asahi hesitated to step through the door, Ai ran over to him. She held her hands out in invitation. Holding both of his big hands, she led him inside, stepping backward. She squeezed his palms with friendly support.

The Team Neighborhood Association arrived, and the game was soon underway. While Kiyoko and Yamaguchi kept the scoreboard, she ran around to fill water bottles for everyone and prepare towels. Ai had to grab extra, too, for the guests. Her heart was filled with hope, but weighed down with anxiety.

A chance for a toss to the ace.

———

Last Summer

As Seirin prepared for their special summer training, a disaster loomed ahead: Coach Riko's cooking. For a practice run, they borrowed a home economics classroom and watched Riko try to cook. However, the finished product was a plate of soft, porridge-like rice with whole ingredients and uncooked vegetables in a puddle of curry.

After Kagami taught her how to cook it properly, she improved but still kept adding supplements, pills, and protein powder that made the dish disgusting. When they finally realized the problem and ate the curry that tasted normal, Kuroko cleaned his lips with a napkin and stood.

"Okay, Coach. I'll make the call."

"What are you talking about, Kuroko?" Kagami asked. "Call who?"

Kuroko ignored him and pressed a button on his phone, dialing. The line clicked and he heard the other end of the call.