Washio Tatsuki's Birthday (August 29)

Fukurōdani Academy:
Head Coach - Yamiji Takeyuki
Coach - Takizawa Yoshifumi
Manager - Suzumeda Kaori - 3
Manager - Shirofuku Yukie - 3
#2 Washio Tatsuki - 3 - MB
#3 Sarukui Yamato - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#4 Bokuto Kōtarō (Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#5 Akaashi Keiji (Vice-Captain) - 2 - S
#7 Konoha Akinori - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#10 Anahori Shūichi - 1 - S
#11 Komi Haruki - 3 - Li
#12 Onaga Wataru - 1 - MB

———

August 29

Keiji-kun: Thanks for inviting us to the game yesterday. It was fun to watch.

Ai: Thank you and Kōtarō-san both for coming, Keiji-kun. I hope Washio-san has a great birthday today. Give him and Yukie-san and Kaori-san my best.

Keiji-kun: Yeah, I'll tell the third-years that you texted. We're going out to a diner to eat and celebrate after practice.
Are you staying in Tokyo for longer?

Ai: Only for a day or two more. I should get back to Miyagi soon.

Keiji-kun: Ah ok. I was wondering if you wanted to visit our school before you had to go back.

Ai: I'm sorry that I can't visit. But helping you and Kōtarō-san during the training camps was wonderful. I promise I'll see you the next time I'm in Tokyo.

Keiji-kun: Yeah, definitely. What about the guy who was injured?

Ai: Atsu-kun's arm will take some time to heal, but he and the others are all doing great. They even played one more match afterward last night.

Keiji-kun: That's a relief. It's still hard to believe they're the same people we met at Shinzen.

Ai: I hope we'll all get a chance to meet again, and maybe play a game or two of whatever sport you'd like. I'll introduce you to Atsu-kun, and I think Seijuro would like to talk with you more sometime.

Keiji-kun: Sounds great. Give me a text when you're in the area.

Ai: I will. Have a great day, Keiji-kun. And I hope you all have a fun birthday celebration.

.

At Fukurōdani High School
(Tokyo)

Volleyball powerhouse school, Fukurōdani Academy had club practice from the afternoon.

"Happy birthday, Washio!" the guys cheered as the man of the hour entered the gymnasium.

Washio made a small smile that softened his expression and replied, "Thanks," to everyone.

The coaches also wished him a happy birthday, and Coach Yamiji wordlessly allowed them to take a little extra time to stretch leisurely. Summer break was almost over, and they'd had fulfilling club activities in preparation for the Spring High Tokyo Representatives.

Konoha, Sarukui, and Komi chatted about summer homework together while Bokuto begged Yukie to let him copy her notes again.

"Please, Yukippe??? You lent them to Komi-yan! Why not me???"

"You have to study for yourself, Bokuto," she said for his sake. "And you often forget to give it back on time. Then, I'm left without my notes, too. Well, except last time when Konoha had it without me knowing..."

"I promise I'll remember this time!" the ace persuaded, and Yukie gave in.

"Alright, I'll give them to you later." The manager sighed with a slight smile as Kaori giggled. This was how it usually was with their captain.

Before they started warmups, Akaashi walked up to the third-year middle blocker. "Washio-san, Ai-san from Karasuno wished you a happy birthday."

"Ai-san?" Konoha asked, with Onaga overhearing the seniors' conversation.

"She was the manager who was helping Nekoma during the training camps. Bokuto-san and I got acquainted with her, too," Akaashi answered.

"Oh yeah, I remember her now," Komi piped. He and Konoha had been interested in the beautiful managers of the crows' school at the Shinzen barbecue. That was, until Nishinoya, Tanaka, and Taketora had intercepted any flirting.

"You two seem close. What are you, her love affair, Akaashi?" the Jack of All Trades teased.

"Yes."

It wasn't the answer any of them were expecting, and Akaashi had said it with a completely straight face. Sarukui's eyebrows rose while Konoha and Onaga dropped their jaws.

"REALLY, AKAASHI?!" Bokuto gasped in tremendous shock.

"...Seriously?" Komi stuttered.

"No. I'm kidding," the setter coolly replied.

The gymnasium was silent for a moment before the No. 7 blew out a breath. "I'll never get used to Akaashi's sarcasm."

"Bokuto-san and I went to see her basketball game yesterday, where her boyfriend played," he explained.

"Yeah! It wasn't volleyball, but it was fun!" the ace perked up and corroborated.

"It's because she's a second-year like him. Right?" Kaori offered to the surprised third-years, checking with Akaashi. "She told me, too, that she especially wanted to get along with the other managers and the second-years."

"Ai-chan's a good person. So is Kiyoko-chan and the first-year girl from Karasuno," Yukie smiled. "Eri-chan and Mako-chan are great, but it was nice having more people."

"Mhmm." Kaori smiled too, agreeing.

The Fukurōdani members hummed thoughtfully at the new information. It wasn't like they spent a whole lot of time getting to know the Karasuno team outside of playing the practice matches.

"I didn't know she was so nice. She seemed kind of intense whenever I saw her," Konoha admitted.

"I know, right?" the libero concurred.

"She's a manager for her team, though. And a good one, from what I remember," Sarukui said.

Washio turned to the starting setter. "Tell her thanks for me."

Akaashi nodded, and Head Coach Yamiji told them to start warming up so they could practice.

***

Haikyuu (manga) and Kuroko no Basket (anime) are both celebrating their 10th anniversary this year!! 🥳🎉

(It's also been 5 years since the Last Game movie 😆)

***

Why/how did Akaashi become the vice captain when he's only a second-year?

Total Word Count: 962