2.6 Tempo

Author's Note:

I'd appreciate your opinions about this story at the end of the chapter!!

(A friendly reminder that you can listen to this story on the FanFiction.Net app!)
(A bit of continuation from the previous episode...)

***

The bus arrived back onto Karasuno High School's campus around 8:05 pm. It wasn't very late; there were times when club practice went on until around this time.

Takeda-sensei said a short reminder that they wouldn't have practice the next day because of facility inspections in the gymnasium, and the guys migrated to the clubroom to drop off their volleyball shoes and stuff.

Ai followed Daichi to go with them, while Kiyoko and Yachi headed to the girls' locker room.

"Let's make it quick and go home," the captain said as he unlocked the door on the second floor.

"Yeah," Sugawara replied.

Asahi yawned and blinked when Daichi turned the lights on.

"Where do you want the bags?" the setter asked, taking his shoes off and stepping onto the tatami mat.

"Anywhere's fine. I'll go through it tomorrow."

He and the ace, who carried the other bag of yellow jerseys and water bottles, dropped them in the corner of the room. "You should do it Tuesday, Ai. We don't have practice until then. It can wait," Sugawara suggested. The vice-captain kept quiet about the dark bags under her eyes.

"Don't push yourself, Ai," the captain cautioned.

She twisted her lips. "Okay, senpai."

Daichi nodded and waved at her. "'Night. Good work this weekend."

Ai also said goodnight to the remaining guys, bowed to the upperclassmen, and left the clubroom with Narita and Kinoshita.
The three of them walked home together as she asked the middle blocker what it was like to play with Fukurōdani that day.

———

The next day was a busy Monday with classes as usual.
When the bell chimed at the end of the school day, Ennoshita stood from his desk and hooked his backpack strap over his shoulder. "Ready?" he asked with his soft smile.

Ai nodded and stood as well.

Then, someone came to the sliding door of their classroom and called to her. "Ai! Are you going home!?" Nishinoya yelled.

She met him at the doorway and answered him as they started walking down the hallway. "Yes. I don't have anything in particular planned today."

"Wanna come over to my house?" he asked excitedly, since he had nothing else to do.

"To study?"

"Er-," the libero croaked. "No..."

She giggled. "I'm kidding. I would love to."
Peeking into Tanaka's classroom, she saw him sweeping the floor for cleanup duty. "Should we wait for you, Ryū?" she asked him.

Tanaka looked up and waved. "Hey! I'll be out in a sec."

She nodded and stood with Ennoshita and Nishinoya by the staircase. Narita and Kinoshita were busy that day and had left to go home.

Within minutes, the wing spiker came to join them. "Sorry for the wait. Let's go."

"Alright! My house, it is!" Nishinoya pumped up a fist.

"Oh yeah, did you hear what happened to Kageyama and Hinata yesterday?" Tanaka asked nonchalantly as they descended the steps.

"No, I didn't. Did something happen?" Ai responded from in front of him.