2.8 Illusionary Hero (part one)

Author's Note:

Hello!! I wanted to start this chapter by saying thank you for all of your kind votes and comments!! You're all so supportive, and they really encourage me to keep writing and posting every week! I also love your quips about the story and characters; they make me laugh every time 😂
I'm so grateful for every one of you readers!!

As always, let me know if some parts are boring (like the character analysis parts or episode recap scenes... I feel like they may be unnecessary? I'm not sure how I feel about those😅) or if I should edit/fix some scenes!

Apologies again that this story has mostly been about Haikyuu, but chapters with Akashi and KnB are finally coming soon!!! Thank you so much for waiting and being patient with me!!!

***

(Another unrelated song... I hope it's ok!
It's a favorite that I always come back to❄️💗)

Song: Eternal Snow
by Changin' My Life

***

That night, Ai went back to the First Gymnasium after finishing up in the cafeteria. She collected the used, foul-smelling towels from the gymnasium to wash and draped them over her left arm.

Tsukishima had declined Bokuto's invitation to spike practice again, and Hinata was envious of the blond for knowing the ace of Fukurōdani. Then, the captain of the owls proceeded to ask Kuroo to practice with him, but the cats' captain whined before needing to hear what Bokuto was going to say.

The tall first-year didn't have as much stamina as the others, and they weren't sure if Tsukishima even wanted to play volleyball. Ai didn't know what kind of past wounds he carried, but according to Yamaguchi, his friend didn't hate the sport, or else he wouldn't have chosen to come to Karasuno in the first place.

Walking towards the exit, Ai was lifting the green net covering the doorway when one of her first-year crows came up from behind.

"Ai-senpai?" Yamaguchi approached her after talking to the orange-headed middle blocker.

She turned to face him. "Yes, Tadashi?"

"Um, would you say something to Tsukki?" He glanced at the floor, looking a little bit embarrassed and nervous. It was the second day in a row where he was coming to her for advice. 

She pursed her lips and took a second to think. "I think I've already said too much to Kei," she answered candidly. "But you know, Tadashi, considering how long you two have been friends and how close the two of you seem, you're probably the person who knows him the best. I don't know what you've gone through together over the years, and I don't want to ask and pry." She touched his arm supportively. "Just talk to him. I'm sure he'll listen or open up to you more than anyone."

Yamaguchi nodded thoughtfully and thanked her.

Just as he was about to turn away, she called his name. "And, Tadashi?"

He stopped and looked at her. "Yes?"

He had seemed troubled thinking about Tsukishima for the past few days, like Ai had. She offered him a smile. "I'm glad that you're not keeping your worries to yourself. Thank you for talking to me about them."

A slight blush spread across his face. Was he not used to people worrying about him, too? "Y-yes, ma'am!"

Ai smiled warmly. "Good luck."

He bowed a little and walked outside, perhaps to find his best friend.

She stared at the door after him.
Ai was just a manager. Tsukishima had been stuck in a dilemma, wondering for days what he was doing and what he should do. Was there really nothing more she could do to help him? Don't give up on living, she wished to say. Her own passion had started with a bit of interest and curiosity, hardly penchant at first. Now, she had pride in her position as a manager and had come to love her job. Ai worked hard for herself, of course, but a part of her motivation was also from him. The person she thought of every day and longed to be near. The person who had also helped her become a manager at Teikō. So that I can be proud of today, to you.