(((Late August - Training Camp at Nekoma High)))

Author's Note:

You can skip this if you want!!
I have this in the chapters later on, so you don't have to read this now!

***

Late August in Tokyo
(2 Months Ago)

Ai watched Nekoma play with Karasuno. The cats were as reflexive as always, and Kuroo's blocks were beautiful. Tanaka was riled up, and Hinata couldn't stand still either. Her focus on the practice match in front of her was intent.

Somewhere along the way, she had a revelation about the two setters. While Kenma was calm and collected, he used his intelligence to strategiize the flow of the game. Smart, calculating. Almost like...

She gasped and shot up from her seat in the middle of the set, staring right at Nekoma's No. 5. Her notebook dropped from her lap with a thump.

The coaches were surprised, and her sudden action also got the attention of the players.

Kenma looked confused at her sudden attention that was focused on him. "...Huh? Ai?" his soft voice mumbled.

"H-hey, what's wrong?" Coach Nekomata asked, startled from his chair beside hers.

"Ai-senpai?" Hinata looked at her from his position next to the net, his head tilted to the left.

Everyone paused in their match as Yachi changed the scoreboard. They blinked at her.

"Chii?" Kuroo took a step toward her.

She found her voice again. "Oh, it's nothing. I'm sorry. Carry on." Ai bowed for the interruption and sat back down.

"Kuroo, it's your serve," Kai said as Fukunaga bounced the ball to him.

The captain woke up from his dumbfounded state. "Yeah..." He gave up for the time being and went to the back line.

Regaining her graceful posture, she picked her notebook up off of the floor, dusted it, and prepared to start writing again, looking expectantly at Kuroo to resume the match.

.

Nekoma's last match of the day was with Fukurōdani, while Karasuno faced Ubugawa. After their practice games were over, Ai passed out water bottles and towels.

"Thank you!" the players in blue practice jerseys echoed.

"Of course. You're very welcome." She smiled.

Kuroo drank to quench his thirst and wiped his face with a white towel. "So, Chii. Are you going to tell me now?"
He glanced at her while tipping his head back to drink some more water. He sighed, his parched throat was now hydrated again. "You said you'd tell me after practice."

"Yes, I did," she admitted, thinking back to her moment of epiphany. "But it's nothing worrying. I promise."

"Hmm," he hummed. "Curiouser and curiouser." He bent over to meet her eye level.

She dismissed him with a wave of her hand. "There's nothing to tell, Kuro."

He twisted his lips as if wanting to say something.

She walked over to Yaku. "Yaku-san, could I bother you with a question?"

The libero turned to her with a smile. "Yeah, what's up?"