C3: I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here!

The first three girls were a bit of a handful and really weren't interested in me all that much.

Soon the 11 year olds started coming in.

"Good afternoon! My name is Alexis," I girl chirped as she walked in. She took a seat in front of me and gave a smile.

"Hi! My name's Mark,"

She's so cute!! I looked at her pink clothes and her blonde little curls that sat on her shoulders. Her bright blue eyes twinkled with happiness.

"Where's your wife?" she asked, tilting her head.

"I uh- I don't have one. It would just be me taking care of you if-" I was caught off gaurd by sudden outburst.

"What?! I want a mom, too! Not just a dad!"

"I-I'm sorry... You wouldn't have a mom for a while if you came home with me..."

She nodded angrily and stood up taking her leave.

I put my head in my hands and leaned back in the small kiddy chair I sat in. I knew this was a bad idea... Maybe I should just go home...

I got up and was about to open the door when another girl came in. Her eyes looked puffy and she had light brown hair tied back into a pony tail.

She looked up at me and held out her hand.

"Hello, my name's Leilah. I'm 11," she said, almost instinctively in her small voice.

I smiled down at her and took her hand. I shook it lightly and she smiled, opening up a but more.

One more interview couldn't hurt...

She sat in front of me, silently playing with her hands.

"So, Leilah, how do you like it here? Is it nice?" I asked, starting off slow.

She shook her head and answered,"No, the girls here are mean to me." she pouted and balled up her shirt with her fists. Tears brimmed her eyes from what I could tell.

"Hey, don't cry... Tell me what happened... Who would hurt someone as sweet as you, Leilah?"

-Leilah-

He was nice, the other parents didn't even sound like they gave a shit about me.

I looked up at him and wiped the tears from my eyes. I gave a small smile, making him grin.

"I had the nicest dress I was going to wear today... but this morning, a girl spilled grape juice on my dress and laughed at me, so I had to wear this," I answered, motioning to my princess shirt.

"You like Princess Peach?" Mark asked eyeing my shirt.

"Peach? I didn't know that was her name..." I looked at my shirt with a new found wonder and hope.

I looked back at Mark who was smiling at me with an expression I had only seen once before. His eyes looked at me with kindness and love. Something I had only seen on my mother a long time ago.

"Leilah, I'm sorry that girl did that to you. And bewteen you and me, I really like your shirt." Mark chuckled.

We continued talking and talking. He asked me about my friends here, and how my life was when I had a home.

I hadn't told him how I ended up here, which he, of course, brought up as nicley as possible. I just didn't feel like talking about it just yet.

"I- I don't wanna talk about that."

Mark was clearly taken a back, knowing he struck a small nerve. He backed off and apoligized.

"That's okay, Leilah. You can tell me when you're rea- hell, you don't ever have to tell me. It doesn't matter," Mark smiled warmly at me and reached out for my hand.