C13: Cooking Blues

Leilah sighed in her seat, realizing there wasn't anything snacky in the kitchen as Mark scratched at his chin.

"I guess I can try to cook something," He said, making it sound like a question.

-

Leilah sat on the counter as Mark took out some ingredients.

From what Leilah could tell, he was going to attempt to make pasta.

"Don't worry, Leilah! I've cooked before... once." Mark continued pulling out different pots and utensils.

"Oh jeez..." Leilah leaned back on the counter, not sure what to do with her new dad.

-

Mark popped the noodles into the boiling water and let them cook as he opened the tomato sauce, pouring it into another pot, stirring it occasionally.

Mark was surprised he hadn't burned the house down yet! He continued to 'cook' and Leilah watched lazily.

Leilah suddenly giggled at the thought of Mark making her meals before school on weekday mornings, knowing he'd get up early and have it done before she was done eating breakfast.

The best he could make for her under 5 minutes is a PBJ sandwich.

"What's so funny?!" Mark said, turning to face Leilah, his arm still stirring the sauce leisurely.

"I just thought about you making me lunch for school..." she stated.

Mark's eyes grew wide at the thought.

'Imagine that... Me! Making the sweetest little girl in the world a sandwich for school...!'

He thought, the joyous notion making him stir the sauce faster in total anticipation.

"How's that funny?" he asked, composing himself.

"It wasn't a funny kind of laugh, it was a happy kind of laugh! The ones you do when you're okay with what's happening around you and stuff." she concluded, hopping off the counter and walking over to the stove.

"Mark, you're gonna burn it if you keeping stirring it that fast..."

Mark jolted his attention back to the stove, removing the sauce and checking to see if the pasta was ready.

"Wanna learn a cool way to see if the pasta is ready?" Mark asked.

Leilah stared at him, squinting her eyes in confusion.

"Ok..."

He clapped his hands in excitement.

"Ok ok ok! Grab a thing of pasta!" He sad, pointing at the bowl of noodles.