29)Birthday Dinner

I had planned to make Jace breakfast for his birthday, but when I wake up, I find the pullout bed in the living room empty

I had planned to make Jace breakfast for his birthday, but when I wake up, I find the pullout bed in the living room empty. He's been sleeping there all week to heal. Only this morning, in his place, is a note.

We've kidnapped the birthday boy. He'll be back in time to get ready for dinner. - The Boys

As disappointed as I am, I'm happy the guys are getting him out of the apartment. Maybe when he returns he'll be in a better mood, not that he wasn't last night.

If I wasn't so worried about jinxing myself, I'd say Jace might actually be calming down. Last night he let me take a look at the jagged cuts on his arms, which seem to be healing well and even rested his head in my lap while we watched a movie. It was nice to feel that small bit of closeness. But I didn't ask him to go to bed with me, as much as I wanted to. I didn't want to push my luck.

I set the note back down and get ready for school.

The day goes by uneventfully. Marcel and Ava love the idea of having a joint party. I give them Kade and Josie's numbers and Ava wastes no time going into party planning mode. She seems to be in a better mood too but I have a feeling she's throwing herself into the party to distract herself. Maybe once it's all over she'll finally talk to me about what's going on.

Caleb surprises all of us by making an effort to be around. Even at lunch, he talks to all of us like nothing happened yesterday. I take his lead and do the same. At the end of the day, he gives me an appreciative smile and a hug like nothing's changed between us. His change of attitude makes me realize that though we both have some blame to carry for the shift in our friendship, that I can do a better job at fixing things.

Who knows, maybe I can even get him and Jace to patch things up. Wouldn't that just be amazing?

After school, I stop at my house to check the mail and grab the present I ordered for Jace a few days ago. His apartment is still empty when I get there so I make quick work of getting my homework done, wrapping his present, and then plant my ass on the sofa bed to watch TV.

Neither Jace nor Ms. Amy has specifically said if I'm invited to this family dinner tonight, so I'm last as to what I'm supposed to do. Do I take a shower and get dressed or turn into a couch potato for the night?

I flip through TV shows for the millionth time when the apartment door bursts open.

In a flurry of chaos and noise, Jace and the guys stumble in tripping over each other and laughing their heads off.

"No fucking way! I totally had you that last round!" Wilder yells, pointing obnoxiously at Jace.

Jace cocks his head back with a snort. "You wish. The only way you would've had me is if you add some more off-market parts to that piss-ass machine you call a bike."

"Dude!" Wilder steps back, covering his mouth with shock. "Don't talk about my baby that way!"

Travis pushes past them both with a sloppy smile on his face. "You two deserve each other. Now get outta the way, I need to take a huge piss."