6)Bad Timing

Warning: This chapter mentions a sexual assault. It is not a flashback and is only briefly mentioned. 

After my mom and I moved to the west side, it didn't take me long to sign up as a Guardian prospect

After my mom and I moved to the west side, it didn't take me long to sign up as a Guardian prospect. One look at the tight brotherhood between them and I knew I wanted that. Blame it on the father issues I guess.

Though I never imagined so much would happen in those first few months of joining. No one did. It was the toughest time the Guardians had since my uncle took over twelve years ago. I never saw how he handled things back then, but I had a front-row seat when I joined.

Uncle Rob was tense, constantly worried. I could see it in the way his eyes would scan every face anytime we went anywhere. His large frame was always taut and ready to take action if he needed to. He was a fucking warrior on the edge, scared of what could happen to those he loved if he let his guard down for even a second.

It's an image I'll never forget, and it's the same one in front of us now as Uncle Rob paces behind the railing of the loft balcony.

He peers down at the Guardians gathered throughout the open space of the remodeled barn. Some pull out stools from the bar under the loft, others gather on couches, chairs, pool tables, and even the small makeshift stage in the corner by the front. Everyone's here today, all twenty-something guardians and five prospects, and each one giving their undivided attention to the man in charge. Even his left and right hands are standing up there with him, watching and waiting for his announcement.

"I received a call today from a friend at the courthouse." Uncle Rob stops pacing and grabs the railing with both hands, looking down at all of us. "We knew this day would come, just didn't think it would be this soon."

He can't mean...

With a sigh that racks through this mountain of a man, every face in the room turns hard, cold, and angry. His words are the oncoming train and each one of us is tied to the damn tracks.

"Victor Valentine was released from prison today..."

Son of a bitch.

The room erupts into mixtures of groans and curses, cutting off Uncle Rob mid sentence.

"This is bullshit!" A younger guy, Pete jumps out of his seat, sending his chair flying back.

Motto, a short scruffy man that's been around longer than my uncle calmly stands up too. "He hasn't even finished half his sentence."

"His rich daddy probably bought his freedom!" One of the few female Guardians, Wanda, sneers before draining the rest of her beer.

Wilder, Kade, Travis, and I don't make a sound. We don't need to. Our concern is written all over our faces. Each crease, worry line, and pinched muscle showing not only our hatred for this guy, but the worry for those closest to us.