Chapter 17

Police shoved Jace into the back of the car, and I clung to my mother crying so hard. It took all I could muster to thank Patrick for saving me. The sirens faded into the distance.

"I hope you know I love you" my mother said, but her voice sounded wrong.

"What?" I woke with a start at the sound of my own voice.

"I hope you know I love you" Jace repeated.

"Oh, yeah. I... I do..." I spoke slowly, carefully. I was still tired and I didn't want to say anything that could get me into trouble.

"Good. I'll see you downstairs. I gotta round up the boys. There are a couple of boys looking to join our gang and they're willing to help bring in the dough by selling on the side and splitting the profit." He explained as he put a tank top on and the jeans and a printed t-shirt.

"Ok, should I wear what I wore yesterday?" In response he shook his head and opened the closet reached into the back and pulled out a very short red dress with a built-in bra, that left little to the imagination. "D-does it come with tights? Or leggings?"

"No, you're mine, and I want to show you off. Everybody will know just how sexy Jace's girl is." And with that, he slammed the door and went on his way down the stairs.

~~~~~

On my way down the stairs, feeling very insecure, I could here angry voices.

"What?!? You said they were old enough to sell!"

"Sir, I only said they offered to sell, I never mentioned how old-" Don could be heard muffling a laugh at the guy who was getting his ass chewed out. He must be new.

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR EVER LOVING MIND?!? They can't be older than 15 each!"

"I'm 16." Came a very small quiet voice.

"Yes, look boys. I'm sorry, I know none of this is your fault but I'm afraid the spots aren't available anymore."

"So what if I'm 15!? I made 200 dollars on just one night last week. Sure I only made 350 for the whole week, but I'm good at upselling and I can get better" another prepubescent sounding voice piped up.

"Look, it's nothing against your skills it's just-"

"We're homeless." The claimed 16 year old burst out. "We need this."

"Is everything okay?" I asked midst the silence that fell from the helpless plea of homelessness.

"Darlah, go wait for me in the living room"

"Darlah? Like the one on TV? The one whose missing?"

"Shit." Patrick's voice almost made me jump, as I hadn't noticed him sitting behind the other guys. "Jace we now have to let them join. And swear to secrecy. If you feel we can trust them."

"I do have another option." Jace had a dark tone in his rough deep voice. He stared intensely at the two teenage boys in front of him.

"Boss, isn't that a little too much. If Darlah's on TV... And then these boys go missing, that will cause a trail-" Don began, pausing "unless y'all don't have friends?"

"Just let us work for you, we won't say anything... It's not like you murdered anybody." The 15 year old shrugged.

"I'm beginning to understand my mistake sir... I'm so sorry." He couldn't be older than 20.

"Really?!? Are ya sure? Do I need to explain what 'find some new recruits' means? These kids can't handle what we go through on a day to day basis."

"We're not kids, we can handle it." The 16 year old insists.

"Don, Pat, take Brody to my training room. He needs to be taught a lesson. And... Darlah. Watch them for me while I have a few words with Brody. Don and Pat will take them for a walk after words." On his way past Patrick, he whispered something in his ear, and Patrick's expression became dark. He gave a single nod as he and Don escorted Brody away. I could hear a slight struggle begin as they rounded the corner. "Now Darlah, choose your words carefully while making conversation with these young gentleman. We don't want to startle our guests." His tone was light and positive, though I could tell something was up. I knew what he meant by those words. Don't tell them I was kidnapped and am being held against my will.

"So what's your story?" The 15 year old asks me.

"Not really much to tell. Hey, what are your names?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"I'm Steven and that's Thomas." The 16 year old says. "So, did you run away, or like... did you witness a deal, and they kidnapped you?"

"I'd really rather not talk about it with you guys, But... you guys should leave. like..." I checked the hallway. "Like right now."

"No, we're trying to get jobs, and no one will hire a 16 year old with a record, and no one hires 15 year olds at all, so we're both screwed." Thomas whined.

"Do you like living and breathing? Then i suggest you run." I pulled out a giant kitchen knife, and acted like i was gonna use it on them. "NOW!" 

Steven grabbed his friends hand, and they ran out the back sliding glass door. I hadn't even noticed it was open. I smiled to myself and put the knife back, adjusting my dress that left little to the imagination.

"So now you take those boys for a walk and I'll be out there soon." I heard Jace, as Don came around the corner. Patrick followed a moment after.

"Where are they Darlah?" Don asked me. I just stared at them and shrugged. "No. Please tell me you're not that stupid."

"Hey, don't insult her, we already know how fragile she is mentally. Darlah, tell us exactly what you told them." Pat spoke carefully.

"Yeah, like did you tell them you were kidnapped?" Don growled.

"No." I said, staring at them with a blank expression.

"SO WHERE DID THEY GO?" Don yelled, walking up to me, trying to be intimidating. Time to test Patricks' loyalty to me. I dropped to the floor, making sure my face caught the counter on the way down.

"OW! OW! JACE!" I screamed.

"what the fuck?" Don stepped back. 

"DON HURT ME! JACE HELP!" I screamed, the sound of my own voice was giving me a headache.

Jace raced in from the hallway. "What the hell, Don. I said take the boys for a walk, what the hell are you doing?" He rushed over to me, helping me off the floor, and pulling me into his chest.

"I didn't do anything, she just dropped out of nowhere and hit her face on the counter." His gravely voice was defensive.

"NO, he hit me!" I protested. "Ask Patrick, he was right there, telling Don to stop."

Jace turned to Patrick, "Well mate, who's the liar?"

There was a long pause. I locked eye's with him for a moment, and it's like time stopped. Would he sell me out? proving to be a liar, about being an undercover cop, or about having my best interests at heart. or would he cover for me?

(A/N) ~ Soooo sorry for how long you've been waiting. also sorry for the cliff hanger. comment what you think will happen next!!