Twenty

We arrived at a solid ground, i felt it and thinking we were at Outworld. However, my expectations were wrong. We were still in Earthrealm. Lies afar from my vision could comprehend, i saw a military base. Seemed designed with its own specialty, judging by the stiff structure.

There was no thunder yet no storms, but it sent shivers down my spine. The weather was cold, almost snowing. I looked up and gestured to catch some mini snowflakes. The air from our breaths were hot, the temperature was definitely decreasing.

What i hadn't realize the first moment i stepped my feet at the solid ground, there were many soldiers with lifeless body scattered all across the place. Blood spilled, organs crushed. I bit my lip, witnessing the terror spread within my senses' reach.

"Where are we?" i asked.

We approached the entrance, which seemed to be already destroyed. The steel placement was hanging by the edge, collided by an unknown cause. "Fort Charles. The most secured base to ever be built. Shinnok's amulet is stored in this very place regardless," Raiden replied.

My eyes scanned around the hallway as we enter, more soulless body were intact. Gradually making the undesirable smell enter my nostrils. Unconditionally making my lack of interest in the environment thickened. My feet stepped in a puddle of blood, i looked down only to widen my eyes. There i saw a human skull beside my foot. Not wanting to endure my sickness further more, i kicked it aside.

"By the gods..."

I saw two bodies hung on the ceiling with their faces burnt. I had to hold my urge to throw up by the time i arrived at the place. It felt sick just to stand around them.

Even with my unholy expressions, Raiden clearly was used to the horrific view. Our eyes scanned at the bloody hallway as we make our way to the end. We reached at our destination, to its end revealed a vault. Opened wide. A little glass box stood there with it holding a golden talisman, with a shining jewel on its center. I leaned over to admire the piece of amulet stored within.

In a brink of moment, my realization has come to a conclusion. I lifted a brow, "If it's here, what does Mileena hold in her hands?"

Raiden glanced at the security scan near the steel wall, the optic light scanned his retina. I had guessed it was the necessary security steps. The glass container got pulled down and revealed the talisman inside. His fingers surrounded the edge of the piece, "The original one," he replied.

I stepped back, scanning my eyes all over the room. I felt something was off. The security. The talisman. The protection. Perfectly placed like no one has touched it. Barely noticeable. Yet the place had come to a disrupted state. Not even worthy to be called a 'fort'. My suspicion grew larger as i walk around the room.

My eyes flickered in a small silhouette crawled from above our heads, a metal tentacle slowly making its way to Raiden. Creeped its way by the edge. My eyes instantly widened, "Raiden, look out!"

But it was too late. Its sharp point went through his chest, he groaned in pain. The tentacle pulled its blade back, but there was purple liquid dripping from the sharp blade. Raiden's chest bled out a large wound. Decayed from his flesh, it started to reveal some liquid.

"Poison!" i exclaimed, he fell in my arms, coughing blood.

"Well whadya know, god can actually feel pain."

By the accent and intonation, i recognized the set of voice. Turning around to greet the source, only to land my eyes on a one eyed Earthrealmer. The metal device clung on his chest described him all too well. His facial hair followed through the smirk painted across his face. I clenched my both hands, "Kano!" i hissed under my breath.