Chapter IX: Clueless

Dedicated to my Nain, who always told me where the matza was hidden during Passover.

꧁꧂

"Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it

"Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it." - Haruki Murakami

~
Narrator's POV:
~

Now driving back to the apartment as Andy blasts dead gay son, Eden can't help but think,

was he going to kiss me?

Say drunk words are sober thoughts, does that mean drunk actions are sober intentions?

Now pulling up at the apartment, Andy and Eden see a white tall man trying to enter the building.

"Oh girl, you're going first," Andy declares as he's shoving Eden in front of him.

"Excuse me, I'm the vulnerable one in this scenario, I'm the woman," Eden says pushing Andy back in front.

Andy repeats his prior movement, "I am black and gay, I am not fit to walk up to a white man, you're the FBI agent."

"I don't have my gun though!" Eden whisper shouts.

"Just get your keys ready to scratch," Andy suggests.

Eden grabs the keys and puts one in each of her fingers as she walks up to the building, feeling relieved when the man turns around and says,

"Hey babe," Johnathan says before trying to kiss Andy.

"Andy! you scared us! we thought you were a serial killer!" Andy exclaims hitting the man before them.

"why?" he asks.

"A white man is trying to enter a building he doesn't have access to, scary enough?" Eden states.

"You right, my bad," He says to the both of them, "are you alright my vanilla bean?" he asks turning to Eden.

"Men," she states entering the building and going into the elevator, Andy and Johnathan trailing behind.

"I'm sorry," Andy says.

"What happened with this licorice stick?" Johnathan asks.

Eden glares at Andy as he turns to stare at the ceiling, "We went to a bar with a few of my colleagues, " motioning towards her and Andy, " afterward he got a bit motion sick, so I took him to the nearby park."

"The park, " Andy emphasized.

"The park?" Johnathan asks.

Eden sighs, "There's this park by our building, only Andy really knows about it. After I moved here, it sort of became my comfort spot, you know like where I would go to clear my head, " Eden explains, "he found the park through a note I left him. He found me crying under a tree," Eden explains, "I- I found out my grandma has a brain tumor, and she... They won't operate because she's too old."

Eden tears up as Andy and Johnathan hug her in the elevator. The doors open and they take her to the apartment. They sit her down on the couch and Johnathan speaks up,

"I'm so sorry, but I still don't understand why it's a big deal to take him to that park."

Andy hits him on the arm and Eden grabs his hand, " it's fine, " she says through her tears,

"Other than that component, when I first found the park, I told my grandma about it, and she said she remembered its name, which was weird to me because she's never been to Virginia before. When my mom died she left some diaries, her will said she allows my grandma to look through them, " Eden sniffles, "when she looked back again, she saw that the Park was the park she met my dad in during college, " Johnathan looks at Andy in shock, "that's also where he proposed, and so the park became special to me, a way to connect with my mom. Only Andy knew until I just randomly chose to show Spencer it, "

"I've... never felt so strongly about someone."

Eden gets up from the couch and walks over to a bookshelf beside the TV. She grabs a photo album, "my grandma sent this photo, " she says taking the picture out and showing both Johnathan and Andy.

"That's her sitting under the tree I was sitting under."

"Bubba, " Johnathan says getting up to hug Eden, "and you feel connected to your mom through that tree?

Eden nods, her tears now streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh honey, " Andy sympathizes.

They all enter into a group hug. Andy speaks, "Would you like to watch Clueless? I promise I won't recite the entire movie."

"Yes, please, " Eden chuckles through her sobs.

~

After about two hours, Spencer wakes up and glances at the clock,

2:13 AM

"Ow, " he says out loud staring at the clock before having memories return,

Did I? Oh, God.

He drinks the water and takes the pill, as memories continue flowing back, the park, the ducks, the confession? The almost kiss, the throw-up, the forehead kiss...

Spencer gets up to go to the bathroom he strokes against his forehead where Eden kissed him with a small smile on his face, the smile quickly fading,

fuck fuck fuck fuck!

He grabs his keys and rushes out the door, driving to the first person he can think of. The person who would be able to help.

Shit, I like my coworker.

Spencer can't stop thinking to himself,

How could I be so clueless?

So dumb?

He pulls up the driveway of his friend's house running up the porch and knocking on the door,

"I need your help."

(((; ))
A/N: Cliffhanger!!! I feel a bit evil ;) who do you think spencer went to?? I'm sorry this chapter is short and low key sucks, I'm writing the next chapters as well. I'd also like to clarify that my nain is going through a similar thing to Eden's grandma, as she has a brain tumor and Alzheimers.

Thanks for reading!