Chapter 4

Henry and I arrived at home to an empty house. It was quiet and peaceful without our father home, no yelling, no loud television. It was calm. I walked into my room, dropped my backpack on the ground, slid off my shoes, and laid back onto my bed, looking up at the ceiling. The scene of Clay and I hugging, running through my mind. Tears start falling onto my cheeks.

"I think I love him" the voice in my head said. I sat up and looked down at my hands. I can't love Clay, we're just best friends, he was just taking care of me last night, that's all. I can't be falling for my best friend.
————————————
It was Friday night. Clay, Nick, and I were all going camping tomorrow. I walked into my brothers room to see him playing Minecraft on his Nintendo Switch.

"Hey Henry, I'm not going to be home this weekend, i'm going camping with Nick and Clay." I say, sitting next to him on the bed.

"Did you tell dad?" Henry asked, putting his Switch down on the bed.

"No I didn't, he won't even notice i'm not here. Plus i'm leaving really early tomorrow so he won't even be awake." I say back, looking down at Henry.

"You'll be back Sunday night, right?" Henry asked, laying back against his headboard.

"Yea I will, are you going to be ok here, alone with dad?" I asked.

"Hopefully, I'll try and stay in my room as much as possible, and I will probably be over at Matt's anyway." He said, shrugging.

"Ok. I may not have a lot of service, so make sure you call Matt's mom if you need anything, she'll be watching out for you, ok?" I say, hugging Henry. Henry hugged back, leaning his head against my chest.

"Ok I will, and George, please try not to worry about me. You really need to have fun this weekend, you deserve it." He said, pulling away from the hug.

"I'll try bud." I say, patting his head and standing up. I walked out of his room and into mine. I checked my phone to see there was an ongoing group FaceTime from the "Epic Gamers" group chat, which was just Nick, Clay and I. I joined the call and saw Nick and Clay looking at the phone screen.

"Hi Georgie!" Nick and Clay said at the exact same time.

"Hi guys," I said back "I need help packing because I have no clue what to bring."

"Basically you just need an extra pair of clothes or two, a bathing suit, and just whatever else you need. All three of us get to share a tent, and then my parents have their own, and my younger siblings get their own." Nick said, looking excited.

"Do I need a sleeping bag?" Clay asked, as he set his phone down on his desk.

"No no my family has extras for you guys. Just a pillow and an extra blanket if you want one." Nick said back.

I got a small duffel bag and packed a pair of clothes for Sunday, and an extra set of clothes just in case. I put my navy blue blanket, along with one of my pillows in as well. I also plopped in a black bucket hat, since I got sunburned easily.

"Aw George you're still wearing Clay's hoodie." Nick said into the phone. I looked down and saw the green sweatshirt still on my body. My face got bright red.

"Oh right, sorry Clay, I can give it back tomorrow if you want." I say.

"No it's fine George you can keep it for now." Clay responded, smiling.

"Isn't that just so cute. Well I need to get ready for tomorrow so i'm gonna go to bed." Nick said.

"Bye Bye" I said to Nick, as he hung up the FaceTime, which left just me and Clay.

"Are you sure you don't want this back tomorrow?" I asked Clay, pointing at the hoodie.

"No keep it, you look good in it anyway." Clay said. "Well i'm going to go get ready too, goodnight George."

"Goodnight Clay." I said as I hung up. Why did he tell me I looked good in this sweatshirt? I couldn't tell if he was just joking or he was serious, but either way, he made my face go bright red.

I figured I should start getting ready for bed, so I put on my blue pajama bottoms, and slipped the t-shirt off that I had on. I put Clay's hoodie back on because it was comfortable. I walked into my bathroom to brush my teeth. Henry then walked into my room.

"Goodnight George, have fun this weekend." Henry said as he hugged me. I hugged back, kissing his forehead.

"Goodnight Henry, remember if you need anything this weekend, text Matt's mom." He nodded and pulled away, walking out of my room. I turned the light off and hopped into bed. I checked my phone to see I had gotten a text from Clay.

Clay :)
Just wanted to say goodnight again. See ya tomorrow :)
Me
Ok goodnight Clay. See you tomorrow :)

I plugged my phone into the charger and laid down. I heard the front door slam, and the tv start blasting, which meant my dad was home, but I didn't care. I fell asleep thinking of Clay.
————————
The alarm on my phone went off, meaning it was 7 am and Nick would be here in 30 minutes. I rolled out of bed and slipped on a pair of black shorts and a purple t-shirt. I went out into the kitchen, and the TV was still on, and sure enough, my dad was asleep on the couch. I turned the TV off and grabbed some bread to make toast. I ate it fast and headed back to my room. I brushed my teeth, and combed my hair. I put some socks on, and slid my shoes on. I checked the time on my phone, and it was about 7:25 so I grabbed my bag and headed out the front door to wait for them.

About 3 minutes later Nicks car pulled into my driveway. I made my way towards the car and opened the back door to see his younger sister, Amelia, and his younger brother, Brady, sitting in the back seats.

"Hi George," Nicks mom said, "just climb in the back with the other two. I stepped into the car, climbing over Brady, to see Nick on one seat and Clay on the other.

"George you have to sit in the middle since you're the smallest." Nick said, patting the middle seat. I sat down and fastened my seatbelt, putting my bag on the floor. It was very crammed, so my knees were touching both Nick and Clays knee.

"Hiya George." Clay said, smiling at me.

"Hi Clay." I said back, smiling at him. The car ride was about an hour, so we all spent the time making small talk and cracking stupid jokes. I decided to text Henry to let him know that i'm at the campsite.
Me
Hey bud, just letting you know that i'm at the campsite, text Matt's mom if you need anything.

Henry
Alright I will. Have fun :)

Clay must've been reading the text over my shoulder because he leaned in closer to me.

"He will be ok, my mom is keeping an eye out for him." He whispered in my ear. Chills went down my back as I felt his breath on my ear.

"Yea I know, thanks." I say back as the car stops at an empty campsite.