XII

Unlike my ungraceful self, Sasuke just maneuvers easily through the tall stacks of plates a cups, around the couch which is almost sandwiched between shelves. The stack is full of breakable shimmering items, such as intricately designed lamps, cups, plates, old-fashioned picture frames with the common swirls and chipped paint peeling from the wood, beautifully sculptured statues of women and men captured in graceful poses, and other random items back from a century ago. Other items too big to be put on shelves or random tables scattered around appeared dusty, which only added to their ancient personality. Chandeliers, lit or not, hang from the ceiling above us, the orange-tinted glass giving the shop a warm presence and welcoming manner.

I inhale sharply as I continue to peer at the unique collection, thinking of the best strategy to use to avoid all of it. One step at a time and I should be able to get through this without much trouble. Just squeeze around this big statue, then carefully slide between the table and the couch while ducking under a lower hanging chandelier, then sucking everything in to get between the two bookshelves closely set near each other. So, far, I made it through. Maybe not nearly as quickly as Sasuke, but I haven't tripped over anything yet, so I call this a win.

I called that too soon.

Just as my thought had ended, I felt my foot getting caught between something and I knew it was all over for me and this shop. Like slow motion, I tip forward toward a table only two feet away from me, which I'm guaranteed to hit on the way down. To top off my gracefulness, the shelf to the left of me tips forward with me. The delicate items on the shelves slide which only adds to my anxiety and worry.

Shit.

Luckily, if it was possible to get good luck, my other foot acted and stopped me before I hit the table, and my body torqued to hold back the shelf. Angling my legs awkwardly, of course, to keep the antiques on the racks from continuing on their road to pieces.

The little incident had caused a lot of noise considering how quiet the place originally was. It doesn't surprise me that two people came rushing around to see what happened, what surprised me is that I don't recall making noise myself. Like, no squeal, no peep, no nothing. I was utterly silent during my little excursion. Wow, I'm kind of impressed.

Trying to pretend this isn't as bad as it seems, I peak up to the two people that stand between tenfolds of large antique piles. One of them was whom I rode with today, the other was an older woman with glasses hanging on the tip of her nose. She looked small compared to the boy next to her, a foot difference in their height alone.

"H-hey, there. Nice to meet you, I'm (Y/n)." I offer a free hand to the lady.

She merely blinks at me before simply turning away and back to wherever she came from, not even glancing at my extended palm.

"Rough first impressions aren't your style, I see," I continue to talk as rejection starts to affect my awkward reaction syndrome. "Haha, well, it was good talking to you! Hopefully the next time we meet we get better inmph—!" I narrow my eyes.

"Shut up," Sasuke demands with a finger over my lips which somehow restrains me from talking. "Before you make more of a mess than you already have."

I pull my head away to regain my ability to speak. "I could've done a lot worse, y' know. This whole place could've been a mess."

"If you trip again one more time, there won't be a place here anymore," he bites, helping by pushing the shelf back up on its balanced side.

I unhook my foot from behind the shelf and start to replace the items where I believe it was originally at, but I was never too sure. Proud of myself, I cross my arms with a smug look plastered to my face. "See? That wasn't so bad."