Nishinoya and Tanaka were safe by a measly five and two points each, thanks to their study sessions.

Ai made a mental note that Kageyama was excellent at memorization, be it volleyball hand signals or kanji characters, and Hinata was proficient at studying when given the chance, seeing that his answers were all technically correct.

———

A Few Days Later

The ride to Tokyo was full of excitement. Ai was, too. Although her heart was anticipating her return to the place she called home for two years, her brain was tired. She closed her eyes and rested, but the stupid grin didn't leave her face.

———

July 7
First Day of Nekoma Training Camp
(Also Midorima's Birthday)

Seijuro: Morning, Ai. I hear the weather will be nice tonight; I'll be looking for the Milky Way. Although I can't see you today, enjoy your trip back to Tokyo. Talk to you soon.

Akashi knew that she would be going to Tokyo, because they had shared their calendars the previous time they'd met, at Kuroko's birthday party. The training camp was only for the weekend, and Ai would be busy with club practice all day. So, even though she was back in the Kantō region, she didn't have time to meet anyone.

Nevertheless, Akashi had sent her a text for when she woke up on the bus. Ai stretched in her seat before sending a reply.

Ai: Good morning, Seijuro. I promise I'll watch the stars tonight, too. Have a great weekend, and I hope your wish comes true.

Seijuro: I hope it does. I'm sure you'll call Midorima later today, so text me tomorrow on your way back to Miyagi.

Ai: I will.

.

After about a six-hour drive plus bathroom breaks, they arrived in Tokyo.

Kuroo and his vice-captain came out to greet the team when the bus pulled up in front of Nekoma High. He laughed at the two country boys who mistook a regular transmission tower painted in red and white for the Skytree, while Kai politely corrected their misunderstanding.
Tanaka and Nishinoya hollered and were still amazed, nonetheless.

Ai stepped outside and breathed in. The air was refreshing, unlike the stuffy bus.

"The scenery's not that different from Miyagi," Asahi commented.

"Well, we're in the suburbs." Sugawara looked at her. "Are we near your old house?"

Ai thought about it, glancing around at the neighborhood. "Not very. I was in a different district, closer to my middle school."

"Huh," the setter said.
Secretly, they all would have loved to see where someone like her had previously lived.

In the background, Nishinoya pushed on Tsukishima's back to hurry him up while Yamaguchi walked with them, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Walk faster!" the libero chastised after having slept well on the ride there.

Kuroo bowed dramatically at Ai, but he mostly kept his distance. She curtsied in response, in a way, continuing her part as Cinderella.

Then, she and the other two managers helped unload the bags from the bus.

Before Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei went to greet Coach Nekomata, Ai had asked everyone for the approval of her idea. Since Karasuno now had three managers, Ai thought that it would be a kind gesture if she lent herself to Nekoma's team for the short weekend. As gratitude for the invitation to take part in the Fukurōdani Academy Group's exclusive training camps, she offered to become their manager for the duration of the trip.
Among the four schools, Nekoma was also the only team without any managers, much to the despair of Taketora.