Chapter Four

"Y/N get your ass out of bed before I come in there and sit on you!" Hanji yelled from the other side of my locked door.

It was a quiet Sunday morning. Well, quiet apart from Hanji's irritating voice echoing off of my walls.

My body felt entirely relaxed for the first time in months. Last night I had finally been given the promotion that I have been pining for all these years, even if there are a few challenges, I will overcome them. All I wanted was a day away from everyone and everything in order to prepare myself. But Hanji wouldn't allow that to happen.

I groaned as I rolled over onto my side, shoving a pillow over my head to block out Hanji's calls.

"Bloody hell Hanji, can't a woman sleep in peace?" I yell back to her.

No response.

She had been quiet for too long, normally she would be attempting to break the door down. I removed my pillow from my face, just to check.

Yep, my door is still in tact.

I squinted at the light shining through my window, bouncing straight into my eyes. I threw my hand out to my side, reaching for a book. My bedside table was stacked with a pile of ragged books that I needed to finish. They were the only things, apart from my clothes, that I had brought with me after leaving home. A stray and stained mug sat alongside the books, drained of its previous coffee. In the centre of my table was a single red rose sitting in a skinny vase , curiosity of Hanji. I ran my fingers lightly over the velvet leaves, recalling the day that she had given it to me. 

It was only a few days ago when she had gotten down on one knee, like she was proposing, and offered me the flower. I had graciously accepted in an overdramatic manner, and we had skipped through the square, ignoring all of the questionable glances that people were sending us. 

The other members of our squad always joke about Hanji and I's relationship as "more than professional", I can't say I disagree. 

I wasn't interested in Hanji romantically, although I wouldn't blame anyone who was, but the bond I shared with her was unconditional and unbreakable. We were cheesy at times, but even when things got tough, neither of us hesitated to be the other's shoulder to cry on. 

Suddenly, I heard the squeaking of a knob, followed by my door slamming open into the wall behind it.

There stood Hanji under the threshold, a grey wire in hand.

"Ah hah! I knew this would come in handy!" Hanji laughed while examining the tiny object she held.

"Hanji!" I gasped, sitting up straight in bed. "Did you just lock pick my door?"

She looked from the door, back to my face and shrugged. "Um, no?"

Hanji gave a large grin and stepped into the room, closing the door behind her. I groaned and flopped back onto my bed, returning to the warmth concealed under my blankets.

"Oh no you don't!" Hanji yelled. She dashed across the room to my bed and ripped my blankets out of my hands. "I did not go through all of this trouble just to watch you fall asleep again."

"You can be a real pain in my ass sometimes, you know that right?" I replied. I sat up again and let my legs swing off of the side of my bed.

"Yes, but you still love me." Hanji poked my cheek several times until I returned her smile and lightly pushed her hand away. 

She examined my room, picking up a single book from the top of the stack to read the spine.

"Are you ever going to stop reading these trashy romances?" She questioned.