An Old Path

Narrator's point of view:

     "What are you doing here?" Yuzuru asked Shouya. Shouya's mind went blank for a second, before catching back up to him. "Oh! Maria got sick." Shouya answered quickly. Shouko looked over at Maria and saw her flushed face. 'Is she okay?' Shouko signed nervously. 'I think she'll be fine.' Shouya answered. The sudden memory of why Shouko and Yuzuru where there sprang to mind. "How did it go?" He asked and signed. Yuzuru's smile dropped. Anxiety started to form in Shouya's heart and chest. 

Shouya's point of view:

     What did they say? How bad is it? Will Shouko be okay? Please tell me Shouko will be okay! Okay calm down Shouya, you can't freak out. Not in front of them. Rain it in until you're alone or at least out of earshot.

Narrator's point of view:

     Yuzuru suddenly smiled and gave a thumbs up. "Everything stayed the same!" Yuzuru proclaimed. The anxiety slowly subsided. Shouya let out a loud sigh of relief. "Don't scare me like that!" He proclaimed putting his head into his hands. He glanced up at Shouko and smiled. 'I'm so glad you're okay.' He signed. Shouko couldn't help but blush. 

Shouya's point of view:

     I guess I should have seen that coming from Yuzuru though. I'm just glad everything is alright. Gosh I still have a little bit of a pit in my stomach. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouya got up and walked over to Shouko. 'Do you feel okay now though?' He signed. Shouko nodded her head and looked up to meet his eyes. 

Shouko's point of view:

     I'm so glad that we didn't have to give him a bad report. Shouya is so sweet. I feel like I haven't seen him in years. Come to think of it, it has been a few days. Guess I missed him more than I thought.

Narrator's point of view:

     'Are you doing okay?' Shouko asked. Shouya tilted his head and smiled. 'I'm fine.' He signed. "Mr. Ishida!" The receptionist called. "Guess that's us. We'll see you guys around." Shouya told them as he took the sleeping Maria into his arms. He walked into the hall that lead to the doctors offices. Yuzuru turned to leave put Shouko grabbed her sleeve. Yuzuru turned around surprised. 'You want to wait on them?' Yuzura asked. Shouko looked down blushing and nodded. Yuzuru gave a knowing smile. "I don't mind to wait a little longer. I'll text mom the news." Yuzuru said and signed. They sat back down near the door the Shouya walked through and got on their phones to pass the time. 

Shouko's point of view:

     I hate to make Yuzuru wait. Maybe we should just leave. No I want to see Shouya some more! Yuzuru understands so there's no reason to be scared. But still, I hate holding her up. I need to see him though. I want to talk to him about it. I don't think anyone outside our family knows. I want Shouya to be the first and this is the best place to tell him, where I can show him too. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouya and Maria were took about forty minutes in the office. It turns out she just had a bad cold and that with medicine and rest she would be fine. The doctor gave her two pills in the office to get her moving and gave Shouya the rest to take home. "Do you feel better Maria?" Shouya asked her sweetly. Maria nodded happily. Shouya picked her up and put her on her shoulders and walked her out of the door and was met with Yuzuru and Shouko still there. 

Shouya's point of view:

     What are they still doing here? Does she have another round of tests? They didn't find something new to be worried about did they? 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouko looked up and saw Shouya's shocked face. Her face lit up at the sight of him. She walked over to them and looked at Maria who gave her a thumbs up. "Sorry to hold you guys up from going home, but Shouko said she wanted to see you a little more before we went home." Yuzuru explained with a smug smile on her face. Shouya's face blushed a little bit. 'Is there something you wanted to show me Shouko?" Shouya asked confused. 

Shouko's point of view: 

     I can't back out now. Just go through with it Shouko. You got this. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouko nodded confidently. Shouko took Shouya by the hand and led him to a different area of the hospital. "W-Where are we going?" Shouya exclaimed blushed. A spark or understanding lit in Yuzuru's eyes as she followed behind them. Shouko kept her grip on Shouya's hand locked, even though her anxiety was screaming at her to let him go. They walked around the seating area and to the area with stairs that took you to the second floor. Shouko led Shouya up the stairs and down a hallway that he had never been down before. The made several turns and even went through a few doors. The path was very distinct, but Shouko knew it like the back of her hand. Like singing an old nursery rhyme that you can never forget the path often leaked into her mind every now and again even if it had been years since she had last been down this way. They finally made one more turn and opened a door. Shouko's eyes fell upon a familiar sight that sent a wave of memories and emotions to flood her mind. 

Shouko's point of view:

     Wow, how nostalgic. Nothing has changed at all.

Narrator's point of view:

     They walked into a small room that looked to be part play room part recovery room. There were several bed against the side walls of the room, but the middle and back of the room were filled with toys and books. Shouko's eyes fogged a little with a few tears. "Where are we?" Shouya asked. Yuzuru got Shouko's attention and told her what Shouya had asked. 'This is my childhood home.' Shouya answered with a nostalgic smile on her face.