Guys Day Out

Narrator's point of view:

     Miyoko grabbed Shouko's hand excitedly. Shouko looked up at her wide eyed. She put her thumb and pointer finger together and zipped her mouth shut. "I won't tell a soul." She said and signed. Shouko smiled and Miyoko continued to walk her home. 

Narrator's point of view:

     That night Shouya tossed and turned with a distant dreams of Shouko. Images of what would have happened if he hadn't gone back for the camera. Sounds of Shouko crying and Yuzuru blaming herself. Feelings of anxiety and fear rushed around his mind as images of sixth grade Shouko crying filled his mind. He saw himself and everything he did. Shouya wanted to scream at himself, punch himself, do anything to make him stop. No matter how hard Shouya struggled he couldn't seem to move or make a single sound. 

Shouya's point of view:

     I deserve this. Seeing my past mistakes, seeing everything that could have happened if luck hadn't been on my side that day. I know that these dreams are my punishment, lord knows I deserve more. Still, I want to change them. I want to make up for everything that happened last year. I want to see her smile. I want to change things and move on, like she wants. 

Narrator's point of view:

     "Yasho! Yasho!" Nagatsuka called. Shouya gasped awake. Nagatsuka ran upstairs and threw open the door. "Yasho!" He screamed in panic. Shouya winced at the noise and sudden light. "What?" He asked annoyed. Nagatsuka sighed. "You haven't answered any of my calls since yesterday. Are you okay?" He asked. Shouya looked at him confused. He leaned over and grabbed his phone. Sure enough there were several unread messages from Nagatsuka waiting for him. "After you and Miki had that fight I've been really worried about you." He pressed. Shouya laughed awkwardly under his breath. "Sorry, I guess I've been pretty out of it." Shouya told him rubbing his neck. 

Shouya's point of view:

     Did I really not check my phone since yesterday? What have I been doing? Watching Maria and thinking I guess. It feels like just yesterday was our date. Has it really been that long? What have I even been thinking about? It's all a blur. The only thing from all that I remember is Shouko. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Nagatsuka tilted his head and studied Shouya for a second. "You do seem to be pretty out of it." He noted to himself. A tiny light went off in his eyes. "You need to clear your head! We should go out." Nagatsuka declared. Shouya shook his head to get a clearer train of thought. "What?" He asked. "Come on, let's do something. You really shouldn't spend so much time inside your own head." Nagatsuka replied grabbing his arm and leading him to the door. Before Shouya knew it he had changed and was walking away from the safety of his house not far behind Nagatsuka. 

Shouya's point of view:

     I guess this is a good thing, where are we even going? I want to go back home and sleep more. Ahh I can't just leave though. I did leave him without a reply for a while. I don't really want to be around people right now. I guess when you don't want to be around people is when you need them the most though.

Narrator's point of view:

     "S-so, Nagatsuka. Where are we going exactly?" Shouya asked. Nagatsuka chuckled. "A best way to clear anyone's full head is by eating food. Sitting down in a crowded area to eat is no way to go though." Nagatsuka explained. Shouya laughed a little under his breath at Nagatsuka's over dramatic telling. "Where are we going to eat then?" Shouya asked. Nagatsuka lead him around a corner and across the road farther and farther away. "My buddy just opened a great food cart. One bite from his food and all the brain clouds will float away." He told him happily. Shouya followed him around town and up a small hill til he could see a small cart in the distance with a young twenty year old working the stand. "Hey Hiro!" Nagatsuka called. He rushed over to the guy and started talking. Shouya waited awkwardly behind feeling like a child when their parents start a long conversation with an old friend before they can go home. After a minute of them talking Nagatsuka came back with two fresh burgers. "That's actually my cousin. He lived in America for a while before moving back." He explained handing him a burger. They walked over to some stone benches that overlooked the small town they lived in. Shouya stared out over the town and mindless took a bite. His mouth was immediately showered with the best burger he had ever tasted. He looked down almost amazed. "Right?" Nagatsuka asked taking a bite of his. 

Shouya's point of view:

     I never thought this would be this much fun. Maybe I should go out more. Nagatsuka tries so hard to be the best friend he can be. I should start trying more. 

Narrator's point of view:

     "So, what have you been thinking about?" Nagatsuka asked him elbowing him a little bit. Shouya laughed awkwardly. "I'm not entirely sure." He answered. "Oh come on." He pressed. Shouya sighed. "The only thing I remember lingering on is, Shouko." He answered. Nagatsuka smirked. "Seems like you." He replied. "Shut up." Shouya grumbled. Shouya looked back over the town. "It's weird. A lot has changed since last year, but I feel like it was just yesterday." Shouya thought out loud. Nagatsuka gave him a more genuine smile. "Don't you think it's time that you at least tell her?" Nagatsuka asked. Shouya's cheeks went red. "I don't know what you mean." He declared stubbornly. "Come on Yosho. The only two people who don't know it is Shouko and yourself. You have to be honest with yourself and just say it. You like Shouko." Nagatsuka told him knowingly.

Shouya's point of view:

     Maybe he's right. Wait no, I never said that I liked liked her! Do I? Don't I? Be honest with myself. How do I do that? Am I the only one who struggles with that? Maybe I should just say what feels the most natural. 

Narrator's point of view:

     Shouya took a deep breath. "Come on admit it. You know I can see why she's sweet and really pretty. Just say it. You'll feel better. Just say it loud and proud. You like Shouko." Nagatuska pressed. There was a pause. "I love Shouko." Shouya told Nagatuska and himself with an unknown confidence. Both of their eyes widened as his words settled in. Love?