Ch.29: Chasing the Devil's Tail

Elijah was dreaming that he was a teenager, chasing a young Klaus through the woods.

"You cannot catch me, Elijah!" Klaus said.

"You're getting faster, Klaus, but you are not yet fast enough!" Elijah replied.

Klaus giggled as he continued to run through the forest.

Suddenly, Klaus disappeared, and Elijah stopped in the middle of a small clearing.

"Klaus? Niklaus?" Elijah called.

Younger Elijah looked around him until he saw present-day Elijah, face and suit splattered in blood, as thunder and lightning cracked around in the sky.

"There you are," present-day Elijah said, approaching him. "Do you understand? One day, only a monster shall remain."

Elijah still lay on his bed in the compound, still asleep like he had been when he'd been rescued, sweating now, Klaus standing at his bedside.

"I know you are locked in battle, however deep in your mind our mother has set the stage. Hear my voice. Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in." He rested a hand on his forehead and another hand on his chest, hoping Elijah would let him inside of his head. "Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you," he added, before getting a glimpse of the dreams Elijah had been having.

Kat watched Klaus try to enter his mind, as she stood at the threshold to Elijah's room in silence, worried about whatever Elijah was going through.

When Klaus stopped trying to enter his mind, she finally approached to stand by the hybrid.

"I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him, but Esther's locked me out," he told her.

She looked at Elijah, which was when she saw a flower petal-shaped rash on his neck.

"Is this a side effect of the spell?" she inquired of Klaus, having never seen anything like it before.

Klaus frowned and examined it more carefully, recognizing it.

"I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant." He looked at his former doppelganger. "If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou. You stay here and mind the fort." He then added, knowing how much she most likely wanted to punish his mother just like he wanted to and would, "Stay clear of her. She already got to you once. What would happen if Elijah were to wake and find you a victim of her madness?"

"Don't worry. I have no intention of going after her right now. My only concern is Elijah," she assured him, despite being angry at Esther.

Klaus looked at her for a moment, before turning and leaving. Kat then turned back toward Elijah and looked at him, concerned, not liking seeing him like this. She then sat on his bedside. She wouldn't go after their mother, since she'd let that be up to Klaus, but she would go after the one person she loved the most, just as their mother had done to her. She wouldn't leave Elijah alone though, so instead of showing up, she called him.

"What would you say if I asked you to help take down Finn Mikaelson today? He did treat your vampires pretty harshly, so I assume you'd want in on the bloodbath."