Ch.21: Battle Of New Orleans

It was a beautiful, sunny day, as Davina and Josh sat on a bench together, Josh wearing sunglasses. They were at a park.

"Have I told you that you're awesome? 'Cause you are! I'm with the sun..." He looked at the Daylight ring on his hand. "Daylight rings..." He noticed a cute boy running and checks him out. "That guy jogging in a tank top..."

Davina was distracted by her thoughts and then said, "Josh?"

Josh looked at her.

"Now that you have a ring, I think you need to leave town," she suggested.

"Whoa!" He took off his sunglasses. "Wait, we're breaking up?"

"I'm serious!" she replied.

"I know! Serious is kind of your default setting. Which is why you need me around to lighten you up! Ergo-- not leaving."

Davina looked past Josh and noticed Mikael's ghost, standing on the sidewalk across the street. It startled her, but when she tried to look again, he was gone. Josh noticed that she was distracted and turned to see what she was looking at behind him.

"Hey, you okay?" he asked, concerned.

"Just witch stuff. Marcel came to me yesterday. He wanted a cloaking spell. He's going to make a move against Klaus. A big move," she informed him.

Josh frowned. "Wow, okay. Guess he forgot to call me. Rude! Did you help him?"

"Yes, because I didn't want him to get killed, but if Klaus finds out, then---"

Josh interrupted her. "Hey! Look, if Marcel's got a plan, maybe Klaus will buy a clue, realize he's negative on the popularity chart, and go into vampire retirement? I hear Palm Springs is nice!"

Davina worriedly looked over to where Mikael's ghost was standing, but he was no longer there.

"Klaus isn't the only thing we need to be afraid of." Josh frowned in confusion. "Look, if there's war coming, promise me you'll go before you get caught up in it."

Josh smiled sadly and nodded in agreement.

In Klaus' study, Klaus had given Genevieve the page of Esther's grimoire that contained the moonlight ring spell. She examined it as Klaus watched.

"Your mother's spell is as complicated as it is elegant. She was clearly a very gifted witch," she complimented.

Klaus snatched the page from her hand and pointed at it. "Is this the bit, here?"

She snatched it back. "Hey! Like I said, it's complicated. She bound protection magic to black kyanite stones. A werewolf with the stones is free from turning on a full moon."

"And what of the improvements?"

"This spell will enhance speed, strength, and agility."

"There should be something in there about fangs, it's what our mother used on us when she turned us into vampires," he replied.

"Not just fangs-- you said you want venom, so the bite is still lethal to vampires."

Klaus smiled, as Genevieve layed the pages carefully onto the table.

"Here." She appeared slightly jealous. "It should make a nice gift. I'm sure Katherine will be thrilled."