Ch.28: Wheel Inside the Wheel

After Esther gave the order that tonight Oliver would be sentenced to death for letting the wolves escape that Oliver had helped Kat and Marcel with, Esther went back to the crypt, leaving Finn to deal with things.

"Still sleeping, lost in visions of horror and dreams of love," Esther stated. She took Elijah's face in her hands. "Still so strong, so...full of life. Too willful to take my offer." She dropped his head in frustration and walked over to a nearby table to pick up an athame before turning back toward him. "I remember you as a little boy. Innocent, kind...If that boy had known the creature, he would one day grow up to be, he'd have leapt in my arms and begged me to save him." She affectionately ran her fingers through his hair. "I'd do anything for that little boy, as I would you." She yanked his head back by the hair and slit his throat with the athame, which woke him up. Then she muttered a spell into his ear an dropped his head, and Elijah went back to dreaming.

Katherine was at the compound with Klaus whom had been interrogating a witch. She was in Klaus' bedroom, where Klaus was washing his hands in his sink.

"I see your interrogation went well," Kat assumed, as he looked at himself in the mirror while he washed up.

"Eh, it turns out these witches are delicate creatures. No matter! I suspected my mother had Elijah captive," Klaus said.

"Then let's go find them!"

Klaus shook his head no, as he walked toward her to face her.

"Esther is too powerful. She won't be easily found. I need to draw her out," he replied, about to shut the sliding doors that separated his room from the nursery when she stopped him.

"Well, where are you going?" she questioned.

"I'm going to change my shirt, and then I'm going to find my brother," he replied.

"Let me come with you," she replied.

"I know you want to help, Katerina, but you can't. Mother is wretched, as you well know. She will target you in order to thwart me, and I can't very well save Elijah if I'm busy saving you, can I?"

"Look, I stood my ground with Mikael. I can help with Esther. I'm not going to leave Elijah. He's in trouble, so we need to go together," she stubbornly told him.

Klaus gave a sigh. Sometimes her stubbornness could be annoying to him. Other times, he was grateful for it, because it helped at times.

"Fine. We'll go when I'm ready," he said, before closing the doors.

About ten minutes later, they were walking around the French Quarter, heading for the cemetery, considering Kat assumed that Esther would have him in the cemetery.

Twenty minutes later, they made their way inside the cemetery, which looked vacant of witches and even wolves. Then, when Kat sensed some powerful magic, she followed it, which led them to the catacombs. When they couldn't enter a crypt, she assumed there was a good reason, so she magically took down the spell. Then, when they entered, they didn't see Esther, but Elijah was there, chained by his wrists. Even though she could see that he wasn't awake, he still looked weak to her.

Klaus approached where Elijah was with Katerina. He then took the doll off the chains, allowing the chains to be able to break at last.

"Get him out of here. I need to find Oliver. He risked his life to help us. It's only fair to save him, as well," she replied.

"Just be careful," Klaus said, before getting out of there with Elijah.

After Kat had found Oliver in one of the other crypts, she took him to the Bayou to be looked after by his own pack, which was when she met Ansel. Because of his name, she could only assume who he really was. He'd never been in the Bayou before, so she assumed that Esther had probably brought Klaus' real father back as well. She could only assume for now.

When Klaus found Esther after getting Elijah home, she told him about the fact that she'd brought Ansel back, though Klaus didn't believe anything she said. Then he through her against a crypt wall, fed her his blood, and killed her, knowing that becoming a vampire herself would be the worst thing imaginable for her. It was his punishment to her for everything she'd done to his family.

Finn entered the crypt that night, shortly after Oliver magically was killed by witches in the Bayou, only to see Esther on the crypt floor.

"Mother? What happened?" Finn asked.

"Niklaus refused my offer," she informed him. "Still burdened with hatred for me. For what happened to his child."

"He's a fool. Your actions saved this family! If that child had lived—," Finn began.

"Dahlia would return, and she would come for us all," Esther finished for him.

At the compound, Kat joined Klaus in Elijah's room, where Klaus had Elijah in bed whom hadn't woken up. This was worrisome to them both.