Chapter 14

Charlie's POV

The hellhound growled as it slowly approached us. Luckily there were only... three?! We were overrun.

"Let's kill 'em," Silena muttered, running lightning speed towards a hellhound.

I turned to face one myself, slashing and stabbing. It finally burst into dust, leaving blood on my face and right arm. I was breathing heavily after the fight.

Then I heard a scream.

Silena was still fighting two hellhounds. As I watched, she turned one to dust, but the other slashed at her chest. I ran towards her falling body, coming up to slash the monster.

"Silena!" I dropped my sword, and I ran to her side.

"Charlie, it hurts," she whispered. Blood was slowly pouring from the open wound. Her eyes closed, but her breathing maintained. Weak, but there.

"No, no," I muttered.

I slowly removed her shirt to examine the wound. Don't get me wrong, it was awkward, but I didn't care. She was dying. I pulled off my shirt, leaving the undershirt on, and ripped it up to use as makeshift bandages. I gave her some nectar and ambrosia from her backpack, then I picked her up, carrying her as fast as I could to the nearest hiking site I could find.

"Help me!" I yelled as I ran into a clearing of people. Heads turned as I carried in a girl with an almost bare chest. She had on her jacket, but that didn't do much.

"What happened?" A woman in a uniform came to my rescue.

I played dumb. I figured that out a while ago. If you told tons of detail, it just showed you were hiding something. "I-I don't know. We were hiking together and I turned away for a moment. I looked back to hear her scream and fall to the ground. Some big dog thing was speeding away when I got to her."

"You're right, it looks like some hound. A very large one. We can't have that loose; this girl is nearly dying." She picked Silena up. "SOMEONE CALL 9-1-1!" She yelled.

An ambulance arrived a few minutes later. A nurse asked me for her name and parent's contact information, and I was allowed to ride in the ambulance.

In the ambulance, I sat next to Silena, watching her peacefully sleep. Her long hair was stained with blood, and her full lips were cut. In a moment, we reached the hospital, and they took her away from me. I sat in the waiting room, and her parents arrived.

"What the hell happened to my daughter?!" Mrs. Stoll asked. It took some time and tons of coffee to explain the situation.

"You're daughter is awake now. Family may see her," a nurse called. I got up. "Sir, only family may see her."

"Why? I brought her here. I cared for her. Why can't I see my girlfriend?"

"The hospital won't allow it until she is fully healed."

"She needs me." I stepped forward.

"Sir, please sit down. You may see her if she requests, or when she's fully healed."

"FINE!" I sat down with a thump, drinking away more coffee.

Silena's POV

Charlie wasn't here. I sat up, with help from my mom, and she secretly gave me more ambrosia. My chest was healing, fast.

"Where's Charlie?" I asked my parents.

"He's in the waiting room," my dad replied.

"Please let me see him," I begged. I really needed him now.

My parents talked to the nurse, then left me alone with Charlie. He ran over to me, giving me a light hug, and kissing my bruised lips.

"I'm so sorry, Silena." Charlie was looking straight into my brown eyes.