Chapter 54: Revoling Darkness

Trigger Warning: Chapter includes sexual assault and abortion, and a suicidal attempt. Again, sensitive topics. I respect all beliefs. Please continue reading if you wish to.

Andrew

A couple days have passed. Veronica went out with her mom. Just the two of them, so they could better understand each other. Their terms are much better. She was strong enough to do it, it's my turn now. My nerves have been racking. Poor Flower, she's probably wondering why we're so fucked up.

I've been wondering that my whole life. We took the trip in one day because we're not staying in anymore hotels. After this visit we're on our way to Colorado. The gps tells me I've arrived, but I didn't even pull into the driveway yet. Maryland is much like North Carolina, a reminder.

A couple cars sit idle in the drive. Leaves clutter her yard. Fallen from the oak tree, with the vacant branches that hang over her house. We sit in the truck and I think about staying here until Vee grabs my hands. "Ready?"

"Yeah. Let's get this over with." I don't know if I'm here to make amends. I want to understand, like Vee and her mom.

"We're here for you." I love that she includes my little girl. Our baby.

Approaching the door, it's decorated for the holidays. I wonder if she has any grandchildren. Most people don't decorate for Halloween. Carved, spooky pumpkin stack upon the stairs. Leaves wrap around the railing, an inconvenience. Knocking on the painted red door, the lights are on, so I'm figuring someone's home.

The door opens, but a chain imposes from it fully opening. A man then takes it off, viewing us. "Missionaries?"

Do we look like missionaries? We're not in white dress shirts and slacks. "Jess Mena here?" I ignore his question.

"Who wants to know?" And he ignores mine.

"Me. Her son. Andrew Mena."

Eyes protrude from the sockets. The only hair he has on his bald bald head stands. He grips the strap on his overalls, calling for Jess. I hear an oven door close. Thought I smelt something good.

"What is it Jeff?" Jeff and Jess. My girlfriend is probably swooning over how cute she'd think that is.

The woman stops dead in her tracks. I see her dark, big eyes. Long black hair comes down to the shoulder, that she probably dyed. "Who are you?"

I cringe just thinking about repeating it. So I don't. "Andrew Mena."

The apron drops to the floor. Guess she was done untying it. "Andrew? Oh my goodness! Look at you! You're so handsome! Aside from all those tattoos and that nose piercing." I fight the urge to roll my eyes. Judge me bitch. At least I didn't leave my child in the backseat of a fucking cab. "Come in!"

I usher the girls in first, then reluctantly follow. "Oh this must be your beautiful wife and daughter?" Something like that. Vee is my girlfriend, and I consider Flower mine, but I don't know if she biologically is. Doesn't mean I'm going to fucking leave her.

I introduce the girls. She introduces us to her husband Jeff. I watch his extended hand, thinking about not complying, but I do, because I've grown over the past few months.

"Take a seat on the couch. I made pumpkin bread." Sounds good, I can't lie. Flower sits on Veronica's lap. I sit in the recliner that's in the corner. Picture frames of Jess and kids playing together hang on the walls. A fire brews inside of me because my daughter doesn't have the same opportunity.

She rounds the corner, with plates of hot pumpkin bread and glasses of milk all on a tray. This woman doesn't seem like the type to just leave a child. Unless she really changed, and that does happen to people. Take me for example.