Chapter 15: Call

Bowed in prayer, I'm interrupted when I feel a gust of wind on my back. Fixing the person with a glare, it's not who I was hoping. Looking forward to a doctor, or a nurse, but it's none of those people. It's that bitch Aubrey. "What are you doing here?"

She self consciously rubs her arm. "Listen I-."

"No." Standing, I walk over to her. "You listen. I don't know how you found out about her being here, but I want to have some privacy with my wife."

Her mouth clamps shut. Awakened by my extreme thoughts that have abruptly exited my mouth. I don't need Veronica's accident all over social media. We're a private family. I don't need her adopted parents finding us, let alone mine.

Aubrey's make up is clumped and crusted together. Streaks run down her face. I know that look. Veronica had the same one more than once. I was the reason for most of them.

"I'm not leaving my friend." It's like she was scared to say that sentenced. Rightfully so. I'll show her what fear feels like.

"You don't know her. At all. Leave. I'm here for her. I'm all she needs." Creeping towards her, she back peddles to the brim of the curtain.

"You have no right to tell me what to do. I know her enough. She needs support, and you're being selfish."

Rolling my eyes, at a standstill. "She's in this predicament because of me! Please, just let me have some fucking privacy with my wife."

I think she finally gets the portrayal. Ushering herself out of the room without a word, I lurch over to the bed. As I'm about to bend down, my phone starts ringing.

"Miss Jane..." I can't get the words out. She's like the mother I never had.

"Andrew, what's the matter son? I haven't heard from Veronica or you all day."

I'm so ashamed. Flower is there, probably wondering where we are. The tears run down my face as I finally take in the state of my wife. "Is Flower able to stay the night with you? Veronica is in the hospital, and I'm not leaving her side."

She gasps, I assume she covers her mouth, because there's only silence. That's until she speaks up. "Of course. Is Veronica okay?"

I don't even know. "No. She was in a car accident. Please don't tell Flower. I don't want her to worry. Just tell her we had to go to a meeting, so she doesn't think we went away without her, please."

I hate that we just push her off to Miss Jane. We are her parents. I am glad that she was not in the car with Veronica though. My stomach becomes sick with the thought.

She catches me about to apologize. "Andrew, please don't make this any harder on yourself." Poor woman doesn't know how much of a piece of shit I am. It's too bad she's good to all people. "I'll take care of your little girl..Now take care of your other girl."

I thank her with words I didn't know I could conjure. After hanging up, I debate getting a glass of water. But I just can't leave her side. I'm praying she doesn't leave mine either.

      Veronica

Have you ever just wanted to die? And I don't mean in the metaphorical way when your friends are joking around, dreading homework. Saying I'd rather die than do this. No. I literally mean you have this feeling where you just want to die. The crippling pain that's in your brain just eating you away. Where the thoughts feel like acid, it hurts so bad.

I often wonder how no one can hear my own thoughts with how loud they are. Shouting that I need to die. You know people care, but it doesn't feel like it, because nobody's there. Those who haven't experienced this I'm grateful for. But they will never fucking understand.