Chapter 42: Bad Idea

"Of course I know what happened." Then why is she so, bubbly?

"You sure you're okay?"

She stares down at the chipped nail polish on her fingers. Her thumb rubs the top of her hand slowly. We're not together anymore, and she's not obligated to tell me anything, but I'm worried about her.

"I'm fine." She whispers. "I promise." It doesn't sound promising, but I don't press the issue.

"Okay. We're probably going to go back to the hotel soon so we can get cleaned up, and you can rest." I don't want to leave her.

Even though she says she's okay, I'm sure she's in pain and doesn't want to be around anyone. "Please come back." I guess she does want us to stick around.

"Flower, hug your mom. We'll come back later." When she's done, I stoop down. "My turn." She smiles, and I place a simple, quick kiss on her forehead. "We'll see you later baby."

"Bye guys."

Turning to her, "Wave mommy goodbye." We both reluctantly wave. "I love you." I mouth quietly. Does she love me too?

Veronica

I guess I should have told him. Not only about the pregnancy, but that I don't remember anything. All I know, is that he is my husband, and Flower is my daughter. Everything other than that is blank. I was really perplexed when he told me that they're staying at a hotel. Why?

Shouldn't they be at our home? Oh my! What happened to our house? I debate calling him and forcing him to tell me what's going on, but then he'd know I was lying. Besides, we always have our talks when Flower is asleep. So she doesn't have to hear.

The silence after they have left grows too loud. I grab the remote and turn on the tv. I wince when the blanket snags the stitches on my arms. The morning news sounds, and for some reason, I actually watch it. What the fuck? It can't be October! It's March! What the hell?

I press the call bell. Sure it's for an obtuse reason, but not for me. I'm going insane. If I didn't feel that my stomach feels full, I'd say that I didn't eat anything either.

"Hi, Mrs. Mena. What can I do for you?" She speaks after knocking on the door.

"What day is it?"

She looks over to the whiteboard, reading the removable marker. "It is October 12th."

No. How long have I been asleep? "It's March. St. Patrick's Day."

She walks over. A serious face has stolen that smile away. "Veronica, it's October. I can get you a pumpkin spice-."

"It's March! Why are you lying to me? What is going on? How long have I been here?"

She rushes over, taking my hand. I want to tug away, but the comfort feels nice. "It's okay. Take a nap hun. Please don't get worked up."

How can she tell me that, when I know it's not October? I reach for my phone. Dialing Andrew, the rings seem to slow down. My head starts to ache.

"Vee?"

Catching my head in my hands, I squeeze my eyes shut. "It's March." The line turns cold. I'm afraid of his answer. "Tell me it's March!"

"Baby, calm down please. What are you talking about? It's October."

What? I begin to break out in hysterics. Dropping my phone on my lap, the nurse pats my back. "What is wrong with me?" I hear my name distantly. I hang up the phone, not in the mood to speak. "Please give me space."