Chapter 44: Just Friends

"How are you feeling?" I question as I lift her into the truck.

"Well, I'm not crippled Andrew. I can get into a vehicle by myself." She's much more of a smart ass than I remembered. "I'm okay."

"I just don't want you to hurt yourself." Her hair falls as silent as the words do after she clamps her lips.

"Thank you." Nodding my head, I shut the door. Flower is all buckled in. It's my turn.

"You want to go to the park baby? And play on the slides?" Of course she does. Honestly, I'm happy we're having another child. Flower needs someone to play with.

I'm sure with her being in school, she's already made some friends. "Yeah." I notice that her mood is glum. I know just the thing to fix it. Turning on the radio, I play some Rihanna.

Her lips won't stop moving now. "Sing it baby!" Veronica giggles in the passenger seat. "What's so funny Miss Cooley?"

"Who's Miss Cooley?" Shit. That's right.

"Nothing. Forget I said anything."

She rolls her eyes, but goes on. "Right. Anyway, I was laughing because I can't believe a tough manly man like you is listening to, Don't Stop The Music by Riri. It's cute."

I blush at her undertone stab. Insult me then compliment me, what's her deal? "Anything for Flow."

"If you say so." Veronica always manages to get a smile out of me.

"You caught me. I'm a Rihanna fan." She slaps her thigh.

"I knew it! How can you not like her?"

Biting my lip, "You're right. She's too hot not to like." Veronica's smile fades, staring down at her hands. "Oh come on Vee, she's hot. You know she is."

"Yeah. She's hot." Her words hesitate, and I think I might have hurt her feelings. If only we were back to normal, whatever that means. I'd fuck her while Rockstar played in the background. Sending mixed signals, I take Veronica's hand in mine. Kissing her knuckles, I place our joined hands in my lap.

"Looks like we're here." Thank fuck because this ride was getting awkward.

On the bench, Veronica lays her head on my shoulder. We watch our little creation jump on the equipment. "She's going to be gorgeous when's she older Andrew. She's already so pretty."

Squeezing her side, I press a kiss to her scalp. "All because of you."

"Shh. Two hot people made a beautiful baby, that's all. I'm ready to introduce our next beautiful baby into this world." I stiffen under her hold. Am I ready? Another baby that isn't mine. When will I have one of my own? I fucking love Flower, but it hurts that there's a possibility she isn't mine.

"Hey...can we talk, about last night?" Veronica usually isn't the type to want to discuss our problems. So I'm shocked when she brings it up.

"Of course."

She faces me, leaving the leather to cool. Our hands are still comfortably entwined. "I'm so sorry. After you left, I realized how wrong it was of me to push that on you, especially since you told me we're no longer together."

I knew this would be a tough subject. "Baby..." I sigh, not knowing where to start. "There's so much I want to tell you, but the nurses said no."

"Why not?" The face of her reaction, is exactly why I don't want to tell her anything. She's already pissed. "I want you to."

"Absolutely not. Not until you're at least more healthy. These memories should come back Vee. I don't want to confuse you, or bring you any more pain." I see the hurt in her. Squeezing her to my side, "I don't want to hurt you. Sex right now isn't an option for us."