10. Promises Honored, No More

Beginne am Anfang

Haneul notices the other gulp, but it may as well be his wishful thinking. "Y-you...you're a monster." He clips with a harsh tone, grabbing the hem of his shirt.

Dae Ho stills for a second but then throws his head back, a loud rumble of laughter escaping his lips once again. He shakes his head with a smirk. "That's where you're wrong, Kim. These are monsters." He points to the men on the ground. "They think it's okay to abuse children and have pleasure in sexually assaulting women. Why? Because they can. They're stronger than their victims." The fighter's lips curl, eyebrows pinching together, the dumbbell piercing at the end of his left brow moving along. "Then these filthy monsters escape the punishment of law easily."

"And you think murdering them makes you better? There's the law—"

"I am the law!" Dae Ho kicks the dead body. "When monsters such as them are still breathing, demons like me rise. I'll hunt them all till I'm satisfied."

"Shut up, just shut up!" Haneul covers his ears, his breathing picking up speed.

A loud bang on the door averts everyone's attention. "What in the world is going on in there!" A familiar voice rattles from outside. "Boss, let me in!" Yoon pounds his fist against the door.

With tottering feet, Haneul moves away till his back hits the door. He wraps his trembling fingers on the handle, but the door doesn't open. "Let me go!" He turns to the blond man standing beside the door with pleading eyes, horrified at being locked in this suffocating place.

"We're not done yet." Dae Ho walks closer to the doctor, pinning him with a glare.

Haneul feels small under his gaze, breaking into a cold sweat when the fighter holds his gun tightly.

"If you ever tell anyone about this, no one can guarantee your family's safety." Dae Ho's tone is flat, eyes narrowed into slits. "This is not an empty threat. Today's show must've been enough for you to understand what I mean."

Once again, Haneul's fist collides with the fighter's jaw. "Maybe you really should've disappeared for good. Why are you even alive!"

Dae Ho's eyes flicker, lips pressing into a thin line. "Aren't you getting too cocky—" his words are cut short when Shadow jabs Haneul across the neck, rendering him unconscious. He catches the doctor before he falls, letting out a tired breath.

"Why would you do that to him?"

"So, now you care about what happens to him?" Shadow snarls and ignores Dae Ho's glare, unlocking the door. "Take him back." He hands a knocked-out Haneul to Pandora.

"Why was he here?" Yoon's mouth parts in bafflement when he sees blood on Dae Ho's shirt. "What happened in here?" His eyes travel to the dead man, a gasp leaving his lips and hands gripping the doctor tightly. "You've got to be kidding me." He lets out an angry chuckle. "Please tell me you didn't kill him in front of Haneul and—"

"Yoon, leave for now." Shadow orders, pushing Haneul's back softly.

"ChangMin-ssi, how can—"

"Yoon, please! Take Haneul away from here right now."

Pandora curses under his breath and drags Haneul with him. "I believed in you to make things right, Park Dae Ho." He whispers before turning away from the basement. "If this is your way of protecting your loved ones, then it's better if you let them die at the hands of the enemies because that will be far less painful than what you've done just now." Yoon firmly holds the unconscious doctor and leaves.

Dae Ho slides his gun back into his waistband, walking forward to leave the place but a hand grips his shoulder.

"That was low, even for you."