21: Blackout

If anyone got a better idea for a title, I'm figuratively all ears.

Summary: Sirius Black has escaped.

31 July 1993

Sirius Black continued to look at the image of Remus and Harry laughing together long after Cornelius Fudge had first given it to him. His vision blurred and he blinked to clear it. For the past twelve years, Harry had been living with his aunt and uncle, people Sirius had not taken a liking to. And no one had cared to check in on him. Not even Dumbledore, although he expressed regret for this. Not Remus, but he had stepped in now.

Remus... Sirius stared at the photo, his heart aching for his dear friend. They were all that was left of the original four, but Remus thought it was only him.

Sirius turned away to pick up the newspaper clipping he had just grabbed. The Weasleys family stood in front, waving at the camera.

And... wait. Sirius sat up straighter. Did his eyes deceive him? No, there on the youngest boy's shoulder was a rat. And it was missing a toe.

"Peter," he snarled, his handsome face twisted into an expression of hatred. "You little traitor. I will find you if it's the last thing I do."

1 August 1993

Sirius Black's face seemed to be gazing deep into Remus' soul. A wave of emotions flooded him, but he didn't know which was strongest, the anger, the longing, or the grief.

"Morning, Moony!" came Harry's chipper voice, unaware of Remus' inner turmoil. It wasn't until he put down his plate and looked up did he see his expression and frowned. "What's wrong?"

"Eat your breakfast first," Remus replied flatly.

Harry cocked his head to one side and Remus had to wrench his gaze away because he had never looked more like James. He turned his attention to his plate, which had some leftover potatoes and steak from the previous night.

The distraction gave Remus some time to collect his thoughts. Why had Sirius escaped only now? Not that he wanted him out, but it just didn't make sense that he'd wait until twelve years later. Unless he had been plotting the whole time — no, that didn't make sense, either. Or maybe it did. Remus pushed the thought away and took a sip from his coffee, which had long since cooled down.

Harry finished eating far too soon for Remus' liking and went to put his plate in the sink. He came back seconds later and looked at Remus expectantly.

"Remember how I mentioned how I was one of your dad's friends?" he began.

Harry nodded. Remus spent a lot of time talking about the Marauders. Apparently, there was a map, but Remus didn't know where it was now.

"Well, one of those other friends is Sirius Black." Just saying the name made his chest tighten. He pushed the newspaper over.

Harry took a moment to stare at the image. Remus could almost see the memories fighting for his attention. Then he skimmed the article, his expression closing off until Remus couldn't read it anymore.

"He's after me, isn't he?"

Remus nodded with a heavy sigh.

"But why? Is he a supporter of Voldemort or something?"

Remus flinched. It had been years since he last heard that claim. "When your parents went into hiding, they had a Secret Keeper, someone they trusted to keep out unwanted intruders."

"And Black was the Secret Keeper?" Harry guessed. He looked as though he was about to hurl.

"Yes. And he betrayed them. He betrayed you. And me." Remus tore his gaze away from his green eyes.